is "heat pump" or/and "Battery heating system" matter? - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

is "heat pump" or/and "Battery heating system" matter?

Hi

I am from Vancouver Canada, currently here has two models available for 10k rebate, Kona EV or Niro EV ex.
- and I personally prefer E-Niro as most of discussions found it has more space in terms of my 4-person family seems get batter benefit, of cause we will sacrifice some cool features from Kona such as most of safety Hi-Tech stuff and particularly two terms "heat pump" and "battery heating system". as my initial thought they are just kind of "nice to have"
-my initially thought that's not a big deal maybe just loss some efficiency from milage range and battery charging time. But dig into it via some discussion or youtube (Thanks for a guy who I think from Norway do a lots of good tube about both Kona and Niro EV), it seems one feature is so cool also becoming quite necessory to me which is call "Utility mode" will let the driver is able to comping inside the car. (the youtuber shows some practical experience with this)
- Well the question to me a) is "utility mode" have to have "heat pump" available. if not necessary, how different between with and without it?
-likewise, from my knowledge the "Battery heating System" is matter to the efficiency of charging battery and mileage range, particularly important to the cold area like Canada. how different between with and without it
- Anyone know "2019 Niro EV ex" model will equipped with "Utility mode"? unfortunally, tried asking a few dealers here none of them say this model is available to be tested until you order and arrived.

Thanks
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not too far south from you, and I would consider the heat pump as more than a nice to have. It would likely offer a significant improvement in range during our cool spring and fall/early winter temps. And since it appears battery conditioning goes along with the HP, that makes the pair worth while.

However, I'm not familiar with this utility mode. While I admit I haven't poured over the e-Niro specs, I don't recall seeing it mentioned. I wonder if it's another little tidbit we don't get in the US that is available elsewhere. Kind of like the Homelink rear view mirror.

I just did a quick search and found some info on Utility Mode. It appears this is simply a mode that allows the HVAC to continue running with the car itself turned off. However, you can't exit the car and lock the door with it on. It's only to maintain the comfort level for passengers that remain in the car while parked. The car itself uses so little energy while not moving, even with the A/C running, I can't see the overall benefit. You can't use it to say keep the car cool with animals left inside (which I am highly against anyway). If you're leaving passengers in the car, just leave it in the On position. Unless you fear the passengers will do something unauthorized with the car. In which case I wouldn't leave them in the car anyway!

Does it require the Heat Pump or Battery heating? I can't say, as I couldn't find anything about it on the Kia web site. I did find something on Green Car Reports that says the Utility Mode also enables a 110VAC plug down where the spare tire would be. So it apparently has some other functionality.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 PM

So the heat pump is a $1,000 option in the States and would assume the same to be true in Canada. If you are keeping your car long term, I would get it, the energy savings would likely make it a zero cost over ten years. As I understand it, even if your nights get down to 50 degrees (Fahrenheit), there is a significant energy savings.

I think electric costs are low in BC so the financial math may not work out. But yes, camping in the car will be far more efficient with one in hot or cold overnights. And of course if you have a long trip, the extra range will save you hours of charging.

Is the heat pump option readily available in BC? On the HEV Niro/Ioniq, there was a CCP package available in colder parts of Canada but I wasn't sure it was easy to get in BC.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi @elawcn and welcome to the Forum.

For the Canadian SX Touring trim level on the EV model is the only one that has the "heat pump" and the "Battery heating system" The EX trim does not. The "Heat Pump" is like a house "heat pump" and is not efficient below the -10c (canadian celcius) mark. radiators are the after -10 heating. For the Battery heating system, you will be able to heat the cabin with the UVO app on your cell phone. kind of a cool gadget!

Personnaly, i would go for the EV SX trim level because the EV EX trim level has been "stripped" out of alot of big options too get the matching price of 45k for the federal 5000$ rebate. No heating seats and steering wheel, normal cruise instead of the adaptative cruise, no tech package, and much more.

For the Charging, 59h with a level 1 (120v) charger that comes with the car. A 9h on a Level 2 charger (240v) and on a Level 3 BRCC fast charger, 1.15h on a 50kwh charger for a 80% charge.

it's a really nice car too drive, i was able too have it for a week-end in June! did over 1700km on it in 3 days all electric with a 465km per charge (385km is the brochure mark).

** The Kona is too small for a 4 passenger ride, you will have alot of space and comfort in the Niro!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (8700 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lafe005; 06-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post

For the Charging, 59h with a level 1 (120v) charger that comes with the car. A 29h on a Level 2 charger (240v) and on a Level 3 BRCC fast charger, 1.15h on a 50kwh charger for a 80% charge.
Where are you getting 29 hours to charge the Niro EV on Level 2? The reports I've read say 9 hours 35 minutes with a 7.2 kW charger (32 amp). That's straight from the Kia media web site for the 2019 Niro EV. The 59 hours for Level 1 is accurate.

Dan

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 PM

Canadians are on the metric time system and zones.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:02 AM

In the Southeast and Western parts of the U.S., I would pass on the heat pump option, but in New England and Canada, I would think it is an essential option. You'll use MUCH less energy to heat the cabin which can be a godsend if you need to stretch your range as much as possible. Plus it will probably increase your resale value in the Canadian market.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
In the Southeast and Western parts of the U.S., I would pass on the heat pump option, but in New England and Canada, I would think it is an essential option. You'll use MUCH less energy to heat the cabin which can be a godsend if you need to stretch your range as much as possible. Plus it will probably increase your resale value in the Canadian market.
For the West, it depends on how far north or south you are. But overall I think I'd take the heat pump regardless of location. The reason is that even in A/C mode the heat pump will use a little less power than a standard A/C unit. So Southern CA or Texas would still see a range benefit with the heat pump. Besides, Dallas/Fort Worth typically gets more snow than we do in Seattle, so they see cold temps as well.

Dan

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
For the West, it depends on how far north or south you are. But overall I think I'd take the heat pump regardless of location. The reason is that even in A/C mode the heat pump will use a little less power than a standard A/C unit. So Southern CA or Texas would still see a range benefit with the heat pump. Besides, Dallas/Fort Worth typically gets more snow than we do in Seattle, so they see cold temps as well.
Yeah, you are right. Honestly, instead of an option, KIA should have included it as standard equipment since the beneficial effects will be noticed in any climate.
Dovidan and atc98092 like this.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
Yeah, you are right. Honestly, instead of an option, KIA should have included it as standard equipment since the beneficial effects will be noticed in any climate.
Well, VW does the same thing with the E-Golf. The heat pump is only on the top trim level. I was giving one of those serious thought, but 120 mile range was just too little for me. Throw in winter weather and crossing a mountain pass, the real world range would likely be about 70-80 miles, which isn't enough to travel between the two areas I will need to reach after I retire.

Dan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page