Level 1 Charger Fault - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:35 PM

One other thing to consider for those having problems with their house wiring, VW's charger does not work unless the circuit is gfi protected. There's a symbol for that specific fault on the charger. Maybe Kia thinks that might confuse owners and would prefer they consult an electrician, so they just have it throw a generic 'don't work' fault.
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 White PHEV Premium
2016 White Soul EV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 PM

I believe it is code for all outlets in a garage to be gfi compliant, but not sure when that was added.
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 White PHEV Premium
2016 White Soul EV
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who suggested that the problem was in the outlet. That was indeed the problem, and the cable is working well with an outlet that's properly grounded. I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses.
charlesH and Lee Williams like this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
I believe it is code for all outlets in a garage to be gfi compliant, but not sure when that was added.
Nah, I went through the national electrical code before I installed the 220/50 amp circuit for my daughter's car. There's requirements about being so many inches above the garage floor, but nothing about a GFI on the circuit. I found they do make GFI breakers of that size, but they cost 10 times a normal 50 amp breaker. $105 instead of $10.

My home was built in 1990, and there's no GFI circuits in the garage. To my knowledge they're only required in kitchen and bathroom areas, or outdoor outlets that may get wet. My hot tub (the original use of my 50 amp circuit) didn't have one either, but it had no outdoor connections. Although there is some discussion online about the code being updated as of Jan this year to require it on high powered garage outlets, so my install might not meet the new code. But things like that aren't retroactive, so we're good.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page