Flo vs ChargePoint - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jmurphEV
  • 1 Post By Pbodifee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Flo vs ChargePoint

Looking to get a card from one of these two companies, Flo or ChargePoint. Anyone have a recommendation one way or the other? I live in Ottawa Canada.

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 AM

Garage
I have the app for both (and more). Setting up an account is free. Getting a physical card will cost you some money (I believe typically $10), but you don’t need it if you have smartphone.

Usually a charger is only governed by one network and payment processor. So figure out what networks you typically see in your area and get their apps. For the iPhone there are only a few software makers for these apps, so all these apps from the various networks work more or less the same! I currently have 5 apps on my iPhone... it is really a no brainer.

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE cars…
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:22 AM

Do you need data on your phone to connect with the chargers or do they scan some type of bar code?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Ville View Post
Do you need data on your phone to connect with the chargers or do they scan some type of bar code?
With the ChargePoint app the phone talks to the charger via NFC (near field communications) same as with all of the tap-and-pay apps. Dunno about Flo as that's not one I use.
K-Ville likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:51 AM

Garage
I believe with the Flo app you will need a data connection. In the app you select the charging station that you are at and it will show the ones around you based on GPS location. So the app doesn’t use the NFC of the phone. The card will allow you to charge when even when the charger can’t communicate due to network issues. See remark on the screenshot of the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09A21912-B71C-46CE-8BEA-4933EAD4889B_1567144464015.png
Views:	27
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	5357  
K-Ville likes this.

Peter

Last edited by Pbodifee; 08-30-2019 at 02:54 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I plan on using the card(s). Would prefer to have just one card.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
I plan on using the card(s). Would prefer to have just one card.
Yes, that is what everybody wants. To be more precise, most people just want to use a payment card they already have (debit card, credit card), or even Apple Pay. Just like what you do when buying gas. I guess we will need to have mandatory legislation making that a reality. For now you need to figure out which networks you are likely going to run into and sign up with all of them. And live with the inconvenience.
Personally I charge at home. No card needed at all

PS ChargePoint shows up in the Apple Wallet, and also works with the Apple Watch. Using the ChargePoint network is extremely user friendly. You are up and running (charging) in no time and ending the session is a breeze as well.

Peter

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:39 PM

I've got a ChargePoint card. I don't believe it cost us anything to get two cards (my wife got one for her car, too). I think if you link your credit card to it and start using it at stations that charge, then it will charge $25 to your credit card. But I only use the free stations. I keep my card in the car, so I don't worry about how many cards I have to carry. Would it make sense for you to get both cards and keep them in the car so you don't have to carry them?

ChargePoint is pretty easy to use. I do have the app on my phone also, but I find the card easier to use. I've never heard of Flo. We must not have any of their stations here in California, at least not where I roam.

Hope that helps!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've gone ahead and ordered the Chargepoint and Flo cards. They seem to be the two most common providers in locations that I think I might frequent. I don't know how much I'll use it, I might just use it when it's free. @tigerucla ya keeping it in the car is probably the most convenient option.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerucla View Post
I've never heard of Flo. We must not have any of their stations here in California, at least not where I roam.
Flo is in Canada only as far as I understand.

Peter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page