Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

FIRST fill

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  PAULRIDES 
#1 ·
Bought a Niro Touring, white with light gray interior (love the blue accents!) Cocoa FL. Added Thule Aero bars 60" (had to tell them it was for a Kia Sportage and had to cut the slots in the rails an additional 3" on each side) to carry my 14foot paddle board.
spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to get the LED drl's working before I realized they go off with the parking brake engaged! Don't know why the wiper and light stalk are not lit.....at night you can't see them :(
So today I filled it. It had 90 miles to empty and I drove it 381.1 miles....there was lots of idle time trying to learn the screens.....computer said I was getting 43.5mpg hand calc turned out 42.77mpg. My average speed was 38mph air running constantly often with the seat air on. Prob 150 miles with the aero bars on and maybe 80 of that with the paddle board on.

I didn't want the sunroof or the 18" wheels but I wanted the lights....very nice for old eyes!

#2 ·
Lol you aren't the only one that has happened to. When I went with my buddy to buy his other car, we spent 35 minutes trying to figure out how to get the darn LED DRLs on until we realized they came on when the handbrake was dropped. We felt extremely foolish and it was very much embarrassing as we were trying to google it and everything haha.

#3 ·
Thanks for posting About the same MPG as my diesel Passat that weighs a bit more. Maybe 5 mpg better. The Fuelly app allows to you enter % in town and hiway driving. For me it's 50/50. Those low profile tires will cost you fuel. I put Michelins on the 18" wheels on the VW and gained back maybe 1 or 2 MPG compared to the stock tires. YMMV of course.

#4 ·
2013 Passat...I'm coming from a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. My normal driving with the board on, air on, was about 33mpg. The Niro doesn't have the room, or certainly the torque but the road manners are not terrible either. The roof racks on the Niro are 5 inches taller than the roof racks on the sportwagen, but at least not as tall as most SUV's!

#5 ·
Thanks for the insight on the Niro, roof rack and luggage carrier on my Subaru Forester makes a big difference in noise and MPG. The Niro looks like a decent replacement for the Passat. Going to miss that low end torque. I am getting about 500 miles per tank now, will be interested to see the range on the Niro will be. I noticed many new cars have smaller fuel tanks (12 gal more or less).Updated electronics will be welcome. Amazing the difference 5 years makes in technology.

#6 ·
2 trips back and forth to Merritt Island today, once to drop of rear seat for a cutout to put my paddle though, and I went for a paddle, then went home but didn't take the board off for the trip back to pick up the rear seat....computer said avg for the 50 mile trip was 46.5mpg! Traffic did seem a bit heavier than normal, I normally would get 32-34mpg with my TDI wagon with the board on so I was hoping to get at least 30mpg with this....so far pretty pleased.

Attachments

#11 ·
Yes you do! I took the wheels off and painted the calipers....was wishing I had the Kia Soul yet so I could have test fit a 16" wheel as I'm looking for a spare. The jack I had from my VW worked fine, as did a fold up lug wrench . Lugs are 21mm or 13/16 for those metrically challenged.

Attachments

#14 ·
2nd Fill! Low fuel light came on with 45 miles to empty. I filled with 36 miles to empty put in 9.92 gal? :confused: I had gone 422.2 miles on that tank.
Avg speed for that tank was 30mph, always had the board on the roof and the Thule aero bars on. Computer said my avg was 45.0mpg but hand calc was 42.51mpg. Computer said 78% economy driving, 21% normal, and 1% well I was playing with sport mode!!!:D

I'm pretty happy...was looking to get 30 with the board on the roof!:)

Including a pic of the blue stitching on the seats and the blue accents around the vents with the light grey interior. Guess I can't because I don't know how to downsize a picture.:crying:

#17 · (Edited)
Ok, I went for a paddle today and used the waterproof camera to take a few photos. I'm loving the light Grey interior and the blue accents! Someone already noticed I had painted my calipers blue. The 3rd photo is of the hole I had cut in the back seat so I could put my stand up paddle in the car without folding the seat down.

When it's really windy with the board on the roof mileage at 72mph is down in the high 30's. Having 2 boards on the roof really cuts the mileage too! Last pic is of my 74 year old friend at the end of a 7 mile down wind run today!

Just noticed you can see the Kia version of weather tech floor mats on the 2nd photo....sorry about the sand, but that's why I got them!

Attachments

#19 ·
I had posted MPG from first fill up (9.11 Gallon and I computed 51.48 MPG = miles / gas).

Not ready for second fill up, but after some 200 miles since the fill up, the car computed average is showing 53.X MPG.

PS: That's driving as easy as is safe (only stomp on it when absolutely necessary to merge) and sort of best conditions for a Hybrid, i.e., mostly less that 50MPH on county roads with some in town, not a city, but have traffic and a few stop lights in Sevierville and Pigeon Forge, TN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.