Ordered New Niro Touring w/Technology - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to lccobb
Ordered New Niro Touring w/Technology

I have placed an order for a white touring with the technology package. I was told it was the first Niro sold in Tulsa however there were none in stock and I was told my arrival date would be March 23rd. They wanted my 2011 Cadillac SRX Performance and I was given a new Optima Hybrid to drive while I wait the arrival of the NIRO. There was not one to test drive however they had a unit on the floor that had no serial number and a note that it could not be driven or ever registered. The reason I traded the Cadillac was for MPG's. I just retired Dec. 31st and was quite aware of the 15/16 mpg I was getting so I knew I wanted a hybrid and was expecting to purchase a Optima or Sonata but after seeing the Super Bowl ad for the Niro I opted to change my thinking. I will post once it is in hand and comment on my first drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 PM

Curious to know what you think of the Optima seats after a long drive. I drove an Optima several weeks ago, after 6 hours of driving I was wishing the driver's seat was built by MB, BMW, Audi or VW.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 PM

congrats on the retirement and the car
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to lccobb
I have not been in the car for more than a 20 mile trip. Seat bottom seems a lit firm but I do like the lumbar support that allows for a four way action which should be good for the back. The loaner I am driving has the cloth seats so have no clue if the leather ones are more comfortable. This is my first drive in a Hybrid and I must say it is very responsive. I have driven about 150 miles and have averaged 41 mpg. I am told that our new Niro is scheduled to arrive on the 23rd. of March.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:40 PM

I'm on my second tank....65mpg to empty and even hauling a 14' paddle board the computer avg is 43.4mpg! Now on the interstate it's pretty doggy, especially with the board on the roof!

I got the light grey interior....the electric blue stitching and accents are really nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050501.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	481  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrpavlo View Post
I'm on my second tank....65mpg to empty and even hauling a 14' paddle board the computer avg is 43.4mpg! Now on the interstate it's pretty doggy, especially with the board on the roof!

I got the light grey interior....the electric blue stitching and accents are really nice!
Do you mind taking pics of that interior for us to see? I wasn't sure how I felt about the blue in the pics online, etc.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNiro2 View Post
Do you mind taking pics of that interior for us to see? I wasn't sure how I felt about the blue in the pics online, etc.
Please note....the hole in the back seat with the carbon fiber paddle shaft sticking through it....was added by myself!

Also I painted the calipers blue....by myself!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050510.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	649   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050509.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	657   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050512.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	665   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050508.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	673  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Irpavlo,

"Please note....the hole in the back seat with the carbon fiber paddle shaft sticking through it....was added by myself!"

How did you cut and finish the hole throuhg the seat? Love the idea as I have lacrosse defense (D) sticks to carry around and would really appreciate the hole. I had a Jetta TDI that had a panel that was removable when the rear middle armrest was in the down position. It was perfect for the D stick poles to slide through.

"Also I painted the calipers blue....by myself!"

How did you paint the calipers? Very nice touch! What paint did you use?

LostSailor
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSailor View Post
Irpavlo,

"Please note....the hole in the back seat with the carbon fiber paddle shaft sticking through it....was added by myself!"

How did you cut and finish the hole throuhg the seat? Love the idea as I have lacrosse defense (D) sticks to carry around and would really appreciate the hole. I had a Jetta TDI that had a panel that was removable when the rear middle armrest was in the down position. It was perfect for the D stick poles to slide through.

"Also I painted the calipers blue....by myself!"

How did you paint the calipers? Very nice touch! What paint did you use?

LostSailor
LostSailor....I'm a TDI man myself, almost ready to turn in my Jetta Sportwagen. I brought the car to an upholstery shop, guy charged me $100 to cut the hole and trim it. For the brakes I used rustoleum oil based paint....same paint I painted all my TDI calipers with!!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 AM

Which Niro do you have?

As you well know, the Jetta TDI is an amazing piece of engineering, lies and all! ARGH! One thing I've never had to worry about was having enough power for whatever situation laid itself out to me. I have a fear that the Niro doesn't have that kind of power and/or that I will not be able to adjust to not having the power if needed. I've test driven the LX and the Touring. The Touring at 170 pounds heavier than the others models didn't seem to have an issue but I was driving very conservatively.

Also, with my TDI, I get 43 (average) in my CITY driving. When I test drove the Niro, I took it with 3 people in the car (my oldest daughter and the saels person) and we drove a longer loop that included about 5 miles of highway. The computer read 38 mpg. For teh fun of it, I took my TDI on the same route, 45 minutes after we got back to the dealer. I reset the computer and I got 42 on the same drive. Seems to me that I need to learn how to drive the Niro before I can really compare the two, but I was doing a lot coasting and really trying to bring the Niro back with more battery than when we left. I did succeed in that endeavor, but wasn't impressed with 38 mpg.

From a current owners perspective, I would be interested in your thoughts between the Niro and the TDI.

I turn in my Jetta on the 28th and am really going to miss it. It fits me like a glove. :-( BUT! I have the chance to find something new and certainly the Niro has a lot a positives going for it.

Thanks so much!

Lost Sailor
2013Passat likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page