Flawed Operations System - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Flawed Operations System

On 2/27/17 I bought a KIA Niro Touring. On 3/6/17 it wouldn't start and needed to be towed. Kia service told me the car was normal but I needed to drive it more to keep the battery charged. It needed a minimum of 14-20 minutes daily to operate. This does not seem to be a problem with my particular vehicle, rather a design choice KIA made. I use the car daily for my work commute, errands, etc though apparently this usage is not adequate to have a reliable operating vehicle.

Kia does not inform the public the vehicle will not operate unless it has a minimum daily usage time. I bought the car assuming I could use it like any car. As much as I like the idea of an eco-friendly vehicle, I take exception to the concept that it must be driven extra time than my needs dictate to keep the battery charged. The service provider suggested I keep the engine running for 20-40 minutes but can just leave the car locked because of the smart key.
This does not sound smart to me.

I spoke directly with Kia Motors regarding my situation and they stand by their vehicle saying it is normal and the only problem is I am not driving it enough to keep the battery charged. I would not like others to find themselves in my unfortunate situation. Please be mindful before making a purchase.
WAW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:42 PM

could be an issue when my car sits at the airport for a week when I am traveling. Can you use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:02 PM

That's definitely not normal. I could typically leave my daily driver sitting for a week or a week and a half and it'll start no problem. There's some sort of battery drain happening.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:12 AM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
...Kia does not inform the public the vehicle will not operate unless it has a minimum daily usage time...
Kia doesn't tell you that because it's bullshit. If the 12-v battery is dying on a daily basis you've got a problem and the dealer should get busy fixing it instead of making up bullshit.
KZolee and MOCHAJO like this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:12 AM

Does the battery charge die down or what? And if it doesn't start does the battery reset not work?

I would think that driving to work and running errand even if it's a very short commute would still add up to 15 minutes. I use to have a porsche, battery died twice, and each time they told me the same thing-it wasn't being driven enough miles. Despite me driving it daily. I would escalate this to make sure you don't have a defective unit. Even when I've drive like 2-3 miles the charge level stay at about 50%.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Kia does not offer realistic solution to flawed Niro system

I have escalated this with KIA Motors. My case manager is adamant there is nothing wrong with my vehicle but I "must drive it more." When I asked for clarity on the exact amount the car needs to be driven to operate reliably he said to check the consumer warranty manual which I was not provided. When I asked for a copy of this Manual, he told me he would look into it and get back to me the following week (still waiting).

To be honest, I am so disappointed because I had researched the Niro and thought it would be the perfect car for me. However, the denial of any issue from KIA or a realistic solution to the car's dysfunction is very troubling.

As far as the push button starter use, I was told by the KIA technician not to "overuse" it (overuse was not defined), so that does not appear to be a viable long term solution.

Suggestions are welcome as I need my Niro to be dependable and I do not have enough money to buy a separate car for use when my Niro doesn't work.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 AM

QUOTE --- I spoke directly with Kia Motors regarding my situation and they stand by their vehicle saying it is normal and the only problem is I am not driving it enough to keep the battery charged. I would not like others to find themselves in my unfortunate situation. Please be mindful before making a purchase. ---- QUOTE

Seems KIA Motors told him that ( I assume Customer Service ) and not the Dealer (as one poster suggested)?

Our NIRO has sat for a day (maybe two) a time or two. So far no problem starting. I have noticed sometimes the engine (gas) starts at the time I start the car, other times it backs out of the garage and either runs down the street on EV or engine starts. PS: Like another poster said, the battery charge indicator for the Hybrid Battery stays around 50%

Yesterday for instance, I was suspicious in that engine (gas) started and kept running for a couple miles. I say that but a little confused about exactly what was going on.

What I did notice is that when I let off the gas as I usually do at different spots to let it go on EV (the Gas mileage indicator stopped between 50 and 75% several times). Usually it always goes to 75 MPG when I let off the gas and sort of coast. It did finally settle out and acted normal (went to 75 MPG when I let off the gas coasting) the rest of my trip (say 30 mile RT).

So, perhaps there was something funny then -- the Battery charge was showing as usual 50% range (+/-) during all that time.

Hard to say what is normal and not, but IT IS UNSATISFACTORY to think you need to drive a car every single day. My 2005 Dodge Van sets for week at a time and no problem.

I assume you are talking the 12v part of the battery. I don't understand how that works, is it taken off the Hybrid Battery???? I assume it is cause there is not a visible separate battery. Then the Hybrid stays at 50% +/- whey would the 12 v be down?

They have the Dead Battery Button in hopes that will get it started. Per the book, you can jump the battery (terminals in the fuse box).

Maybe put a volt meter on it and see what it is doing when sitting over a day????

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 03-15-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 PM

According to Car and Driver, the Niro has no 12 volt battery, the larger battery handles that chore.

Can't post links but the quote is:

Finally, the typical 12-volt battery has been ditched, its responsibilities now resting on the shoulders of the high-voltage lithium-ion polymer battery.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Jay

It does have a 12-v battery. It's a lithium-polymer battery packaged in the same enclosure, but separate from, the traction battery. See the 12-v battery sitting on top of the traction battery cells at 3:20:

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:36 PM

You can get the consumer warranty manual at kia owners online. In case you don't know how to do that, I've uploaded it here for you to download or read.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-y...ew?usp=sharing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page