New member, new owner - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

New member, new owner

Greetings fellow Niro owners. I purchased a Touring with tech package last week. I have been a Prius owner since 2009 and never paid much attention to the KIA brand until the Niro was introduced. I first saw it at the auto show back in February then took a test drive at a local dealer a few weeks later. After spending the intervening months researching, comparing dealers, prices, etc., and getting an acceptable offer for the Prius, I finally took the plunge. KIA's offering 0% on financing was icing on the cake. So far, I am very pleased with the car. I'm still on the first tank of gas so I can only go by the display which is averaging 46.5 mpg. I was around 48 with the Prius. Considering the design, features and comfort of the Niro for the price paid, I am beyond impressed with this car...looking forward to sharing experiences with other owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:43 PM

Congrats! Any pictures?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 PM

miketee4- congrats, happy motoring! I have the LX model, adv.as 49MPG combined. After 9 fillups I am averaging 55.2 MPG,and I don't drive like an eco-maniac, I just try to drive sensibly. Your Touring is rated a little lower MPG, but you should be able to get about what the Prius did. It would be interesting if you could post some differences you notice between Prius/Niro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
miketee4- congrats, happy motoring! I have the LX model, adv.as 49MPG combined. After 9 fillups I am averaging 55.2 MPG,and I don't drive like an eco-maniac, I just try to drive sensibly. Your Touring is rated a little lower MPG, but you should be able to get about what the Prius did. It would be interesting if you could post some differences you notice between Prius/Niro.
I'm at 5,500 miles on my Touring and I'm averaging about 47 with a usual split of 50/50 economical vs. normal driving. the 18 in wheels clearly have a negative effect on MPG. I'm still more than pleased with 47, however.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Pics are coming...we've had a lot of rain lately...waiting for some sun!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
Thanks...I try to take it easy but admit to having a heavy foot at times! I probably could have gotten better mileage with the Prius but I just don't have the patience for "hypermiling". On the other hand, I'm not a speed demon either. Anyway, I'm happy with MPG's in the mid-40's considering the way the Niro rides and handles. It feels more solid and stable on the road than the Prius and I'm sure the larger tires have a lot to do with it along with the Niro's independent rear suspension. I'm really enjoying all of the creature comforts of the touring model. Cooled seats was a surprise and I love the parking assist and other warning beeps. Also, the quality, fit and finish of the car is great. It feels like a more expensive car...no complaints so far! I'm still discovering things so more reports to come.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:01 PM

Enjoy your NIRO, sounds like you are so far.

I have 6600 miles on mine (bought it FEB) and like most everything about it. Do think I feel the surging, stuttering, whatever you call it occasionally.

You can see the good and bad things to watch for on this FORUM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicepeak View Post
Congrats! Any pictures?
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Niro_back.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	2002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niro_front.jpg