Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

New Niro in Minneapolis

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Billraab 
#1 ·
Got to test drive one for the weekend and fell in love. Had been a Soul driver for 5 years so I felt good about getting another Kia. Yesterday was the first day with our new Kia Niro EX (w/ Sunroof Tech Pkg), Metal Stream. Loving it! At 56 years old I have driven a few cars and this one, so far, has been my favorite. It goes back to the dealer Monday next week for the goodies we have added. Looking forward to driving this car more and more.

#3 ·
Hello from a St. Paul, MN. Picked up our white EX with the same sunroof/technology package on 7/27. We had two Gen 2 Prius's with a lot of miles and sold one to make room for the Niro. It is a bit of a leap to go with the Niro rather than the proven Prius (over 200K on the Prius we kept) but the current models are truly ugly and boring.

That being said, at least the Toyota dealers are passionate about the Prius. It was my experience (and maybe my luck with the 4 total salesmen that I talked with) that the local Kia dealers are not very familiar or enthused about the Niro, so (like most other buyers) I did internet research, a test drive that pretty much sold us, grabbed a TrueCar deal and finished up with 30 minutes of paperwork. The salesman did not even offer to take the time to go through the Customer Vehicle Delivery Worksheet. Just glad that the sales part is over with.

Meanwhile, already driven 1600 miles. Very nice ride. Besides the comfort, my wife and I are averaging (based on the internal computer) over 55 mpg across three tanks of gas. With some minor concentration I have gotten mid-60s mpg on several metro trips with mixed freeway and city travel. The vehicle seems to respond well to basic hyper-miler tricks. That said, I think the internal computer might be a bit optimistic, maybe 2 mpg, will have to do a manual calculation with a tank soon.

We are also glad we got the technology upgrade: well worth the extra money. The smart cruise control is a particularly great feature. It will be interesting to see what it will be like in the winter. Very little feedback found online to know how it will respond in the snow or cold.

Heading to Rapid City for Labor Day, and looking forward to the drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.