Has anyone replaced the halogen headlights with LED lights yet? - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone replaced the halogen headlights with LED lights yet?

Hello from Las Vegas, I'm a new registered and I've been wanting to change my halogen headlight bulbs to LEDs. Does any know if it's possible? Usually on reflector headlights it is no problem but since the Niro has projection headlights I don't know how to take the bulbs out.
Audionics1 likes this.

Dad to Be
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM

One of the first things I did to the car was replace the standard bulbs with LEDs.

Front headlights I tried an HID retrofit kit (35watt) it worked fine, then I found a set of Phillips LED bulbs that fit in and IMO provide better light than the stock bulbs and even the HID set. Biggest bang for the $ was also replacing the Fog light bulbs with LEDs.

Also changed the interior bulbs to LED, gives a brighter light and nice effect. Can't understand why a tech car like this came with old school bulbs, other than saving a few $$
lafe005 likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:02 PM

I've been wanting to do this but been hesitant since I've never changed over to LED and lack of videos on YouTube for the Niro.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:03 PM

Bulb numbers please???
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenfort View Post
One of the first things I did to the car was replace the standard bulbs with LEDs.

Front headlights I tried an HID retrofit kit (35watt) it worked fine, then I found a set of Phillips LED bulbs that fit in and IMO provide better light than the stock bulbs and even the HID set. Biggest bang for the $ was also replacing the Fog light bulbs with LEDs.

Also changed the interior bulbs to LED, gives a brighter light and nice effect. Can't understand why a tech car like this came with old school bulbs, other than saving a few $$
I'd also like the bulb numbers. Did you have to modify anything to get the heat sink to fit?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM

The bulb # for hi/low headlight are 9005
Fog light was a H8

When looking I tried to find a 9005 with a small footprint and no fan as I knew space was limited inside the headlight. FYI it's an easy change over for the headlights, for the fog bulbs I went thru the inner wheel well removing a 3 of the plastic push rivets, it took about 10 mins each. Changing out the fog bulbs gave so much more light, and reduced power consumption by 1/2 too. Well worth the small cost, and there is no space concerns with the fogs, as there is with the headlights. I've been running these about 6 months now and just love them. I forgot to mention I did try the HIR bulbs prior to trying HID in the headlights, both were improvements to the stock bulb, but not as much as I hoped.
Trevlac and AdviceOnTech like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Is this the one you installed? Still looks like a heat sink issue you would have had to solve.
https://www.xenonpro.com/9005-dual-b...headlights-kit

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Here is what I installed

Sorry the forum doesn't seem to allow me to link to it.

But Google Phillips 9005 LED you can see them, they were about $100 at Tire Rack - doesn't appear they sell them anymore. Guessing it's hard to compete with the $15-30 ones flooding the market

Last edited by hackenfort; 04-13-2018 at 09:00 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:00 PM

No modification necessary to get them to fit?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 04:21 PM

Hi @hackenfort, thanks for the info. I'm planning to change the headlights and fog lights as well.

Did you change the reverse/back up lights? If so, are they T10 and easy to change?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page