Instead of a new Tesla - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Instead of a new Tesla

I bought my new Niro this week. Had no intention of buying one. Went to look at a Sportage, got sidetracked by a beautiful sangria colored Sorento. Drove it and then started looking at the Niro. Until I saw it on the showroom floor, I didn't know Kia had a hybrid. Drove it. Thought it was fun. Wife drove it. Thought it was cute. Bought it. Have a question I didn't get answered. I live on an island in the San Juans of Washington State. There is no gas available on the island. I was told if I ran out of gas on the island, the battery would get me to a gas station. The Costco where I usually buy gas is 24 miles from my home. Is the battery up to getting me that far? Should I sneak some gas across on the ferry and keep, say, 5 gallons at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:25 AM

The big numbers on the left tell you miles to empty. Shouldn't be that hard when you get below 100 miles to get a fill?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
True. I hate paying the ferry fare but considering the miles I should get on the tank of gas, I'd be needing other stuff from the mainland before I drive very close to 500 miles.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 06:57 PM

On hybrids, if the car runs out of gasoline, it shuts off. Just like a regular car would. The battery just helps move the car, but it won't work for more than a few minutes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 02:02 AM

Best to just fill a few jerry cans with gas and store them properly so you don't have to make as many trips.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Was the salesman wrong? He said I could drive it on electricity alone to the nearest gas station but he wasn't sure how near that station had to be. Think I'd be carrying both extra water and gasoline if I were driving across Death Valley or in places where I've been in Eastern Oregon. True story. Many years ago I was driving my Rambler stationwagon on a very rough, rocky road in E. OR and had a flat. Put on the spare. A few miles further, another flat. No more spares. Wife, four small children along and nearest known people were maybe 25 miles away. After and hour or more and old Plymouth came along and stopped. The driver heard my tale and said we might see if his spare would fit. It did and I dropped it off at Baker, OR at the service station he asked me to. Wouldn't take any pay for saving our lives. (Not that I was carrying more than $20 or so back in the early 1960s.)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:52 AM

What the salesman told you is incorrect. The car can run on electric battery only for just a couple of miles. Luckily the gas tank should give you close to a 500 mile range.

The plug-in hybrid Niro does have a battery that will give you 20+ miles of electric ranges, HOWEVER, as far as I know, the plug in has not been released in the USA.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:53 PM

Just been reading the manual. Page 4-54: ?Never try to start the vehicle if the fuel tank is empty... If you try to start the vehicle when the fuel is empty, the high voltage battery will become discharged and be damaged.?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 AM

Best to carry extra fuel in your case and some emergency supplies in case anything happens. Not sure how hospitable your area is if you ever get stranded.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page