The Leafs gotta go, I'm picking up an EX this weekend! - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool The Leafs gotta go, I'm picking up an EX this weekend!

Hello all, Just registered, picking up my Niro this weekend, an EX with Advanced pkg! Not sure if 17 or 18, almost same car, we will see this weekend! Back in 2008, the price of a loaded Prius was cheaper than filling my 4Runner with gas each month! So I bought one, and that started a really nice run on Priuschat.com. Loved the Prius, but after 9 years my mind started to wander, and I bought a 2014 Nissan Leaf. Love the car, I just don't want to spend 1/2 of my remaining life on this planet recharging a battery!
So into my life pops a Niro. I loved my 4Runner, still have it, a "crossover", I really hate that term, mini SUV was what I wanted, and with 46/50, I'm all in!! With my Hypermiling skill, Avg 46.6 in the Prius, I am looking forward to 550 mile range, ah freedom, how we miss it when we don't have it! I am trading in the Leaf, hopefully they will give me a good price, it was a fun car, and is in terrific condition!
I love to mod, am a TV Engineer by trade, Amateur Radio, Wood/Metal working, Making, are all fun things I do!!
I will start a Log Book on the car, post the good and bad, whatever, my mods, fixes, thoughts, mpg, fun times!
Looking forward to learning a new transport system, I have the experience, bring on the ride!!

73's de Pat KK6PD
Neuron likes this.

Last edited by KK6PD; 12-13-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 AM

One thing I noticed about the Niro is the lack of good feedback as to when EV mode is running. Sure, theres a light, but in my Fusion Hybrid, there was a bar graph that you could watch so you could "feather" the throttle and keep the vehicle in EV mode easily. The Prius has something similar.

Enjoy your new vehicle!
KK6PD likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
One thing I noticed about the Niro is the lack of good feedback as to when EV mode is running. Sure, theres a light, but in my Fusion Hybrid, there was a bar graph that you could watch so you could "feather" the throttle and keep the vehicle in EV mode easily. The Prius has something similar.

Enjoy your new vehicle!
The feedback is the gauge. When it gets down near the bottom of the green eco, it's going into EV mode. To me it's like planing out the hull of a boat, or airplane at altitude. The transmission even lets you know. After driving a few k miles, I find I can tell about exactly when it's going into EV mode.
KK6PD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:08 PM

Not always true, the gauge is close, but you can be all the way at the bottom of the green and be using the ICE. The Fusions gauge was more like a bar graph of battery power on the bottom and ICE power on the top, your throttle input moved a line up and down in that bar and you could immediately see where your vehicle was running. If you did it right, you could easily keep the line hovering right at the junction of the 2 bars meaning just barely using the ICE and using EV as much as possible. I was able to drive 60 MPH for miles in EV mode alone just by paying attention to the bar. Its really difficult to "see" that in the Niro.

Its not right or wrong, just that the Fusion made it easier.
KK6PD likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Welcome to the forum! With how handy you are, I'm expecting to see little mods here and there for your new Niro.
Was thinking of the Leaf a while back, but that short range made me fear getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. The new electric cars seems to be better, but not enough for me.
KK6PD likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey all, well tomorrows will soon be here, 15 hours by my count until I get my, year to be decided, EX w/Advanced Pkg Niro, To that end I thought I would share how I clean and take care of my vehicles. I have been getting the Nissan Leaf ready to trade in tomorrow, working it for 4 days now. I have started with 3 stages of rubbing compound, medium, fine, Polish. With a wash between each grit, then 2 coats of Glaze, and then 2 coats of wax.... Plus he interior... a day right there! I set this cart up when I got my Gen II Prius, and it has served me well ever since.
I saw the usefulness of a hot air blower for drying my cars way back when. A leaf blower just wouldn't cut it. I saw an ad for this thing. It's called Blaster, and it's bolted to the top of my Stanley roll around tool kit . All the chemicals, cloths etc are stored in there. I wash the car, when finished I grab the Blaster hose and start from the top down and blow the water away. After running for about 2 minutes, the air gets nice and warm, which helps drying. When you get to a door handle, metal name tag, or the tires, the air will blow the water right out, leaving you with a warm dry surface. Note the really nice reflection on the side of the car... I should get top dollar on the trade in!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Car Cart1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	2674  
realto likes this.

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:44 AM

KK6PD- now that is some preppin! If you have the time, you should consider selling it yourself. You could probably get a couple $k more for it then the dealer. They just look at the overall condition, not the dirt, because their guys will prep it anyway. Or they just auction it off.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Too bad dealers just open a book and give you a pre-set number for trades. If you gave it a rinse off or if you spent 3 days detailing, they don't care. They'll probably just send it to auction anyway.

Now, if you are selling it, that makes a huge deal.
realto and Dovidan like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well several hours later, a good deal, 9k for the Leaf trade in, I'll take it, I have a white pearl '18 with Advanced everything! Really nice ride. First car I do not need a break in period. It all makes sense, really easy to drive, love the red dash lights, I have been doing that to cars for years. Even the little light in the door handle is cool..... It was a good day, and a free fill up!! Fuelly, here I come!! Pic time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roads Niro.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	2682  
Billraab likes this.

73's de Pat KK6PD

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:42 PM

White pearl is the best color!
KK6PD likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page