Intro Post: First to buy a Kia PHEV in MA? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Intro Post: First to buy a Kia PHEV in MA?

Just bought my Niro Plug-in on Saturday and I am loving it so far. Apparently the MA registry of motor vehicles has never heard of this car so they cannot figure out how to register it, and my insurance company put me down as having a Stinger. Looks like I am on the bleeding edge here, let's hope I don't regret it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 PM

what trim did you get for your plug-in?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguthrie View Post
Looks like I am on the bleeding edge here, let's hope I don't regret it!
Congratulations on your purchase. At least KIA itself knows about the vehicle on the USA website. It's not yet made an appearance on KIA Canada's. My dealership is still waiting for information ...

It's good to see PHEV topics here now. The forum topics need shuffling and updating.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimpiaKIA View Post
what trim did you get for your plug-in?
I got the LX. I was about to pull the trigger on the regular LX and then I realized that with the tax credits the cost was lower for the plug-in, and it was more fully featured (smart cruise control, emergency braking, etc...). My only concern was that once the battery is depleted the combined mileage is 46MPG vs. 49MPG for the regular LX. I did the math and realized that with 105MPGe in all electric mode that I only need to do 11% of my miles on battery to break even on energy usage. My commute is almost exactly 26 miles round trip (which is the electric only range) so I have done well over 50% of my miles on electric.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:32 AM

I hope it works for you, interesting to see follow ups posts.

Personally, I can't imagine being limited on Miles Round Trip on any car.

That said, MAYBE CONSIDER if I had a routine commute daily (I don't, as I am retired).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Similar experience in Virginia. Got mine on 17 Jan and my insurance company had to code it as "other".
Quote:
Just bought my Niro Plug-in on Saturday and I am loving it so far. Apparently the MA registry of motor vehicles has never heard of this car so they cannot figure out how to register it, and my insurance company put me down as having a Stinger. Looks like I am on the bleeding edge here, let's hope I don't regret it!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Insurance is higher for a muscle car than a hybrid. Make sure you are not paying too much for insurance.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Insurance is higher for a muscle car than a hybrid. Make sure you are not paying too much for insurance.
Yeah, I am on top of it. Kia and the RMV are talking. As soon as they figure things out I will call my insurance company back and get my premiums fixed. I am also hoping that since this car has LKA and AEB I will get an even better deal.

Last edited by nguthrie; 02-01-2018 at 01:51 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
I hope it works for you, interesting to see follow ups posts.

Personally, I can't imagine being limited on Miles Round Trip on any car.

That said, MAYBE CONSIDER if I had a routine commute daily (I don't, as I am retired).
I can plug in at work every day, but I figure that worst case scenario I never plug the car in and just get great gas mileage (46MPG) instead of really great gas mileage (49MPG).
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post

Exactly! Here in insurance heavy NY state, we got a $20.00 discount, "Hybrid Discount" line with Travelers Ins. listed with all the other "safety" discounts. I guess they are betting that hybrid drivers are easier on the gas pedal!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page