New Niro plug-in owner - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

New Niro plug-in owner

Purchased our Niro PHEV last weekend. This vehicle replaces my 20 year old Odyssey. So LOTS of new things. Still getting through manuals and downloading apps lol. I am interested in better understanding how to make the most of the EV/HEV modes and understanding how the hybrid and electrical charging systems work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Congrats.

Were you looking into a Honda before coming over to Kia? I bet those 20 years with a Honda gave you some pull towards owning another Honda.

Welcome to the forum!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 AM

I have an 18 year old van which I plan to replace with a Niro PHEV as well. The dealer indicated they were flying off the lot. Did you manage to negotiate a price below MSRP?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 AM

what trim did you get and were you able to negotiate a good price?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I purchased the EX. I was able to get $400 below MSRP. Yes, they all said they were flying off the lot. Not sure about that but I know from CarGurus that each dealer only had a few. I did get an enthusiastic response from dealers in the area when I listed my inquiry on the Kia site and requested responses. It's possible I could have paid a little less if I did not need to get a car now and could wait a to a bit later in the year.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:04 PM

Edmonds Price Promise on Niro PHEV

These are hard to get at the moment and reviews are pretty good so bargaining will be tough for awhile. I did find an Edmonds “price promise” quote for an EX about $1,640 below MSRP that the dealer honored even though the day before they said no discount. One week on no regrets. Gonna be weeks before filling up again. Of course the dealer tried to add extended care, gap insurance etc to try and bounce it up a couple of grand. Polite no thank you’s and questioning everything they put on contract ended the pressure. Opted for the 0.9% Kia loan instead of a lease, so very low interest payments, mostly principal. Disappointed the EX does not have Nav and Carplay will not show Google maps but I hear Apple Maps has improved.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrca View Post
Purchased our Niro PHEV last weekend. This vehicle replaces my 20 year old Odyssey. So LOTS of new things. Still getting through manuals and downloading apps lol. I am interested in better understanding how to make the most of the EV/HEV modes and understanding how the hybrid and electrical charging systems work.
Congrats. Did you get any discounts on your insurance because it is a PHEV or for the safety features? I am battling with USAA's company's computer system to recognize my VIN, but when that is resolved I am hoping I will get a break due to these features.

Also, you mind telling me who insures you? I can tell USAA that your guys figured this out.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
These are hard to get at the moment and reviews are pretty good so bargaining will be tough for awhile. I did find an Edmonds “price promise” quote for an EX about $1,640 below MSRP that the dealer honored even though the day before they said no discount. One week on no regrets. Gonna be weeks before filling up again. Of course the dealer tried to add extended care, gap insurance etc to try and bounce it up a couple of grand. Polite no thank you’s and questioning everything they put on contract ended the pressure. Opted for the 0.9% Kia loan instead of a lease, so very low interest payments, mostly principal. Disappointed the EX does not have Nav and Carplay will not show Google maps but I hear Apple Maps has improved.
I'm shopping Niro PHEV EX Premiums and according to several sources on the net the invoice is 32,744. Kia has a 3% of base invoice dealer holdback ($982.32) so the cost to the dealer to buy the car is $31,761.68. They don't even buy them outright, they just take a loan out on every single car and start paying it off monthly. You add 3% to this ($32,714.53) in order to give the dealer a fair offer not including destination/rebate. The best incentive I can find now for that vehicle is $750 cash back when you go with KMF: $31,964.53. Plus $940 destination you're looking at $32,904.53 as a fair price offer. MSRP is ~$35,440 so that's about $2,535.47 off MSRP. Any price lower than that is gravy, job well done.

BTW, don't believe the "invoice price" the dealer will show you in his dealer inventory search software (~$34,xxx). It's totally inflated BS, look up the true invoice price at the NADA website. And always factor in their 3% factory to dealer incentive of the 3% of base invoice holdback because they'll never tell you about it.

This info could be wrong but it's what I'm working with and it seems to be accurate during my negotiations. Never let $tealers get away with anything. Ever. :-)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 PM

We r in bay area & there are quite a few Kia Niro PHEVs on the lots. One dealer told me they couldn't hold onto them but he had 2 on his lot for over 4 mos before he sold them over Memorial Day weekend.

Now we have dealers within 50 miles with 22, 21, 23, 7, 4, 2, 6, & 10 yet they can't keep them in stock? I checked to make sure VINs are different.

I have followed KBB and it states a fair price on Niro PHEV LX trim is $26,867.

What is a best price gotten here for a Kia Niro PHEV LX?

I have been told dealers take a loss on EV/ HEV/ PHEV because they need to sell them according to govt guidelines plus they make up those losses with gas car sales.

My concerns are that Niro HEV & PHEV have major issues:
- in cold weather and hills where MPG has been reported as low as 20MPG

- STUTTER/JERKING after approximately 6,000 miles see other forums

Has anyone gotten a lease with maintenance included NOT paying additional money?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG123456 View Post
I have been told dealers take a loss on EV/ HEV/ PHEV because they need to sell them according to govt guidelines plus they make up those losses with gas car sales
I believe you mean the manufacturer takes the loss, not the dealer. WAY too much profit margin for the dealers for that to happen.

But I have read on multiple occasions, especially in the early Prius days, that the manufacturers were not profiting well on hybrids. I'm not sure that's the case anymore, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG123456 View Post
My concerns are that Niro HEV & PHEV have major issues:
- in cold weather and hills where MPG has been reported as low as 20MPG

- STUTTER/JERKING after approximately 6,000 miles see other forums

I understand your concerns. I am personally unhappy with my MPG in my Niro - but I seem to be the only one at this forum with this complaint, and as bad as I feel my MPG has been, it has averaged WAY above 20MPG. (Overall 39.9 MPG avg over 14,000+ miles, averaged 36-37 in the cold weather at highway speeds.) Again, I believe I am the sole voice of dissent on this point at this forum - everyone else seems to get far better MPG than me, and they all seem to be satisfied.

Also note that the "stutter/jerk" problem *may* appear to be more widespread than it actually is, due to the normal "lurching" issue with the dual clutch being sometimes misinterpreted as a mechanical problem. From reading posts here over the last 9 months, it is clear that there IS a legitimate misfiring issue going on for some owners, but many people seem to think their clutch lurch is a misfire when it is not.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page