You have to laugh - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Talking You have to laugh

Hello everyone, great to be a part of this community!

I have a some confessions to make here, foolishness on my part that made me laugh; hope they will produce a wry smile in you.

New owner here, just one week, and so far enjoying the car. But I have made some silly mistakes just because I am not yet used to some of the features after saying good-bye to our beloved old car, our recently departed 15-yr-old Sorento.

The brightness of the headlamps is wonderful, but the running lights are as bright as the old Sorento’s headlights so I keep forgetting to turn on the actual lamps! When I do, I am astonished at the visibility.

The engine is so quiet I once stood outside the car wondering why it wouldn’t lock, only to discover I hadn’t turned it off.

Once I thought I’d made a dreadful mistake in buying this car when we believed we were stuck in a snowbank, only to realize we simply hadn’t disengaged the parking brake, which is on the floor instead of near the gear shift as in the Sorento. My cursing ended abruptly. Such mortification!

There is a lot of information to absorb between the navigation screen and the driver’s panel, but as I get used to where the important stuff is, I am more confident about casually checking various features on the central panel. You have to make a concerted effort not to be distracted while driving though, which is worrisome.

Mostly though, appreciating the safety features, the drive, the mileage. It is definitely not an SUV, but going down a size was right for us at this point in our lives. I assume it won’t be long before this car really feels like ours. We look forward to another long companionship, as we had with the Sorento.

I hope some of you will contribute your own confessions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:52 PM

If you set the headlights to Auto you won't need to remember to turn them on
realto, jpear, eddarrah and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes, thank you. I’m so used to turning them off on the Sorento, I do it without thinking. I love the brightness of the new lights!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 06:48 PM

Which trim level do you have? As far as I can tell, my LX can only do running lights if I choose auto, no separate setting.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 PM

Welcome to the forum!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Which trim level do you have? As far as I can tell, my LX can only do running lights if I choose auto, no separate setting.
As I recalled from my EX and was able to confirm in the manual (section 4, pg 100 & 101 - not trim specific as best I can tell) the label for the Off light position says "DRL OFF". Now I always interpreted that as "DRL/OFF", meaning main headlights are off but DRL is on. But not sure I guess. The manual doesn't really define it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 PM

My light knob is four position: off; auto; headlamp icon, headlamp icon. Turns out that auto is just front DLR (when light out or not raining); the first headlamp icon is front and rear DLR, and the last is headlights.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:40 AM

I like AUTO but usually go from OFF to AUTO (except sometimes I think AUTO does not turn on when raining). So, I am also OFF to ON or AUTO.

Personally, as far as I am concerned the plain old days of OFF and ON is adequate. (for simple minded folk)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
I like AUTO but usually go from OFF to AUTO (except sometimes I think AUTO does not turn on when raining). So, I am also OFF to ON or AUTO.

Personally, as far as I am concerned the plain old days of OFF and ON is adequate. (for simple minded folk)
My EX turns on full headlights automatically in rain but it depends on how dark it gets (cloud coverage). Also had the headlights turn on automatically today when pulling into a car wash bay. I guess it's a light level sensor of some type.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
My EX turns on full headlights automatically in rain but it depends on how dark it gets (cloud coverage). Also had the headlights turn on automatically today when pulling into a car wash bay. I guess it's a light level sensor of some type.
Yes theres a light sensor and it also turns on the headlights (in auto mode) when the wipers come on for more than a few seconds.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page