Niro PHEV owner coming from a volt - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Niro PHEV owner coming from a volt

Hi all! I recently traded in my gen 1 volt for a Niro LX PHEV. So far, so great! The volt has a great forum community, so I'm hoping the Niro will too. Feel free to ask any questions, or give any advice/tips! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 PM

The Niro and Ioniq forums are not filled with tech geeks like the Volt/Prius/Tesla forums. Shame.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:01 PM

Welcome to the forum! I think it's different kinds of owners for each car?
What made you decide to go with the Niro instead of another full electric?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I'll get a full EV eventually, but they (or the infrastructure) aren't where I need them to be yet.

There is very minimal charging infrastructure in the places I usually drive, plus I make fairly regular trips over 200 miles roundtrip where there aren't any charging places for the whole trip unless I drive fairly far out of the way. Until a 300+ mile range EV is more widely available or better charging infrastructure is built up, I don't think I'd be able to make that trip in the winter without issues.

The Niro is fairly similar to the volt for my uses. I'm able to keep the Niro in EV mode until it forces me into hybrid mode, and that range has been similar to all-electric range of the volt. A major benefit to the Niro PHEV is the efficiency is much greater than the 2012 volt. I'm getting approximately the same electric range on less of a charge. And the gas/hybrid mileage is leagues ahead with the Niro. I've been seeing 50-60mpg in the Niro compared with 25-38mpg in the volt.

It will be interesting to see what kind of electric range I can get out of the Niro in the summer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 PM

I hope you plan on logging your range on a site like Fuelly along with any other details that would be helpful especially as components break in and produce numbers that are eventually normal.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I hope you plan on logging your range on a site like Fuelly along with any other details that would be helpful especially as components break in and produce numbers that are eventually normal.
What do you mean "eventually normal"?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Closer to specified efficiency versus real world results. Looking around at numbers on Fuelly, the fewer miles reported, the more skewed the results are. However, better mileage will come mostly from better driving practices, not engine "break in". That doesn't do much on modern cars or motorcycles for that matter. Engines are built to far higher tolerances that previously.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Closer to specified efficiency versus real world results. Looking around at numbers on Fuelly, the fewer miles reported, the more skewed the results are. However, better mileage will come mostly from better driving practices, not engine "break in". That doesn't do much on modern cars or motorcycles for that matter. Engines are built to far higher tolerances that previously.
So you think I will get Better mileage than 50-60mpg in hybrid mode?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Unlikely. But many PHEV owners are reporting mpg of over 70 depending on how often they charge and how long their trips are. If all your trips are limited to 20 miles and recharged fully afterwards, you could easily get over 100 mpg total. Toss electricity costs into total fuel costs and you will end up way ahead with that driving pattern.

But PHEVs are the result of incentives for buyers and regulations on total fleet mileage for manufacturers. When those go away, so will PHEV's. No one will want to pay the extra real cost over a hybrid, or the total lifetime savings on an EV.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Unlikely. But many PHEV owners are reporting mpg of over 70 depending on how often they charge and how long their trips are. If all your trips are limited to 20 miles and recharged fully afterwards, you could easily get over 100 mpg total. Toss electricity costs into total fuel costs and you will end up way ahead with that driving pattern.

But PHEVs are the result of incentives for buyers and regulations on total fleet mileage for manufacturers. When those go away, so will PHEV's. No one will want to pay the extra real cost over a hybrid, or the total lifetime savings on an EV.
Oh, ok. Well I was very specific that I was only referring to the mpg in hybrid mode. Using mpg when part of the drive was in EV is a meaningless number that just looks nice. By that metric I'm getting 270mpg, so, meaningless.

I don't agree with any of your assertions. You state them as if they are fact. You completely ignore the advantages of EV driving combined with not having to worry about charging infrastructure. Not looking to get into a debate, but it's ridiculous when people make blanket statements with nothing but opinion to back it up.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page