New Owner - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cookrd1
  • 1 Post By lafe005

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Smile New Owner

Just purchased my Niro today - 2018 PHEV EX Premium. I live in FL, but there are only 6 of these in the entire US inventory, so I drove my motorcoach to Jim Butler Kia in Chesterfield, MO to get it. I didn't even bother to test drive it. Yesterday, a guy from NC purchased the only other one they had.

I considered a Tesla, but the build quality and service issues (first, just try to get one serviced; second, will they be in business much longer) and range anxiety stopped me. Realistically, even with a 280 mile max range, you are going to recharge at 20% and only charge to 80% due to time issues. So, this gets the realistic range to an absolute max of about 150 miles with climate control, etc). And, my Kia doesn't rattle incessantly and to me looks much more luxurious in the passenger compartment (storage if nothing else). No one pays much attention to the Niro on the road and I am fine with that. I have other vehicles if I feel the need to impress anyone (I don't).

Granted, this is day 1, but I am very pleased with my purchase. Unfortunately, the dealer wasn't much help in answering my questions, but I had already read various posts on this forum which really helps. I also had already downloaded the owners manual.

Other cars considered:
Honda, Toyota, Audi, Volvo
The Volvo XC60 was the closest contender, but I wanted something much more fuel efficient. They did have better available safety features. Although cost was not a big issue, I could have two Niro's for the cost of one XC60 the way I wanted it.

If there is anything that I am not quite happy with, it would be some of the features that are on the Tesla and Audi that are absent on the Kia. I also wonder if Kia will be rolling out software updates like some other manufacturers. My other disappointment is the factory nav unit which apparently cannot navigate to a specific business by voice command (maybe it can if it is a POI, but I apparently cannot tell it to navigate to the RV park I am staying at).

Also, this is my first experience with a Kia or any Korean brand. Wow, they have really come a long ways in the last 10 years. Very impressive.

-Bob
Leigh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:51 AM

I didn't even know that Kia had such a bad reputation until after I purchased. Yup, they've come a long way.

Did you wire your new Kia for towing? As I understand it, you have to get the front wheels off the ground so you need dollies (or a trailer).

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 PM

We've had our Niro PHEV EX premium for about a month. Still on first tank of gas There is nothing we're unhappy about. Love the blue stitching on the leather seats, all the bells and whistles. Quite an upgrade from our 2005 Prius.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by egmacrae View Post
We've had our Niro PHEV EX premium for about a month. Still on first tank of gas There is nothing we're unhappy about. Love the blue stitching on the leather seats, all the bells and whistles. Quite an upgrade from our 2005 Prius.
Very impressive.!!! Congrats.!
Leigh likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (15500 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:33 PM

welcome to the forum!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Heyo welcome. Yes the Niro is a huge upgrade from a "vintage" Prius. I had the pleasure of letting my Prius owning friend test drive my Niro Touring and boy was he impressed. I don't think even a new Prius compares favorably.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page