Got my Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Xaqtly
  • 1 Post By 13jaysan
  • 2 Post By Anthony LaGrasta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Got my Niro

After doing a ton of research, we got a new 2018 Niro EX Premium package in Metal Stream gray. We opted for the EX Premium instead of the Touring because we wanted the slightly better MPG you get from the smaller wheels and eco-tires.

So far so good, we've had it two weeks and put almost 1100 miles on it already. I have a 60 mi. round trip commute so it will be racking up miles pretty quickly. So far MPG has been as advertised, we've only put two tanks of gas into it so far but it's averaged 49.6 mpg so we're real happy with that. Love all the high tech features like smart cruise control and lane keep assist, the parking assist features, CarPlay, still getting used to all of it but the radar cruise makes commuting easier.

I do sometimes wish it had a more powerful electric motor so it could stay in EV mode more of the time without kicking the gas engine on, but I'm still getting the advertised MPG regardless so it's pretty hard to complain about that. One odd thing I've noticed is that it doesn't have auto lock/unlock on the doors even though it has keyless entry and ignition with a keyfob sensor. All the pieces seem to be there, but they didn't implement it.

it has plenty of room for our two dogs or anything else we want to put in it, and the 500 mile range is spectacular. I think it's well designed, I like how everything is laid out, the infotainment in particular seems really good. I like the Harman Kardon sound, it's not the loudest I've ever heard but it does do a good job of staying clear at high volumes. I'm really pleased with this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	3465  
Chis2k likes this.

2018 Kia Niro
EX Premium
Metal Stream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:50 PM

Congrats! I got my Niro at the end of March (Silver 2018 EX HEV, no addon package) and love it. I first spotted one on the road in 2016, was attracted to how it looked, and started researching from then on (including lurking on this forum). I was waiting for my 2015 Sportage lease to end. Luckily, the dealership let me end the lease 3 months early without any early termination fees since I bought my Niro from them.

This is the first hybrid car I've ever had, and am loving the mileage, easily getting more than double the Sportage. In 1,500 miles so far, I am getting around 54-55 actual mpg total (my dash states ~57mpg but it is usually 2mpg optimistic). I admit I changed my driving style in the quest for better mileage (easier on the gas, less time on the freeway's fastest lane). My commute is 40 miles round trip, 70% freeway and 30% side street. Freeway speeds are usually 55-65mph on my commute, with instances of 75+ depending on the day. But I get the best mileage in horrible LA traffic (crawling at around 15-20mph). I used to HATE the traffic with a passion, I mean I still do, but driving this car makes it more bearable, knowing that I'm getting better fuel efficiency!

I once drove a painful 40 miles in Friday evening traffic that took 90 minutes, all on the freeway, but I got 69mpg out of that trip (my dash showed 71mpg), so not really complaining! And honestly, I REALLY prefer the look of the Niro with the 18" wheels, but I for now I'm enjoying the mileage on the 16's. I haven't taken my car on a road trip yet, but I imagine it would be a lot lower than 55mpg if driving at a constant 75+mph.

In terms of the room, my family is quite surprised by how much passenger space there is in the rear for a car this size. Coming from the Sportage, there is less trunk room with the seats up, but that's to be expected since it's narrower and shorter overall. I would have liked it if the Niro was even 1 inch longer, with that space devoted to the trunk.
lrpavlo likes this.

Last edited by 13jaysan; 05-15-2018 at 06:53 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
But I get the best mileage in horrible LA traffic (crawling at around 15-20mph). I used to HATE the traffic with a passion
Yeah, I know that exact feeling, I noticed the same thing myself. If I just leave the cruise control on in traffic that's like between 5-30 mph, it stays in electric mode most of the time and I can pull off 60+ mpg.

Quote:
my family is quite surprised by how much passenger space there is in the rear for a car this size.
I was also surprised by that. I'm 6'3 and typically back seats are not my friend - not so in the Niro, I was amazed that I actually had leg room in the back. I was really impressed by that, I've had less leg room in the back in larger cars than the Niro.

I just feel like, on the whole, Kia did a really good job of putting together a nice looking car that seems to do everything right, at least for this class of car. Lots of room, great tech stuff, good interior design, etc. I think with this car they really did a better job than anybody else in this class of car.

2018 Kia Niro
EX Premium
Metal Stream
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 PM

Garage
Congrats on the new ride!

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Seems we're all local to one another, I'm work in Anaheim, live in Mission Viejo. Thanks for the report, I'm in the same situation and anxious to buy a Niro in the coming months. Just as yourself, my first hybrid. I'll be selling my 2003 Jaguar S Type and my 2012 GMC Terrain. There is a chance we'll be purchasing two!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Cool, hope you get a good deal on your Niro(s)! Actually, my initial driving impression wasn't too positive since I'd never driven a hybrid before. When I first time test drove it at the dealer, it felt quite sluggish to me in its default ECO mode, coming from the Sportage which had more horses and a pretty sensitive gas pedal. (The Sportage also had an eco mode which I never used.) However, I got used to the feel of the Niro's default ECO mode fairly quickly, and so now I rarely use sport mode in my daily driving.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 06:27 PM

Congrats, I just picked mine up this week. Same model, different color.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta View Post
Seems we're all local to one another, I'm work in Anaheim, live in Mission Viejo.
I'm almost the opposite, live in Placentia and commute to Irvine. If I take the 241, it's almost a 60 mile round trip for me. This is one of the main reasons we wanted a car with better MPG. It's still early on, but so far we're only putting about 9.5 gallons in the tank when we fill up, for $30-something, and we're getting 500 miles a tank, roughly. Which is ridiculously great, given current gas prices, and given that it's not a PHEV or full EV car and doesn't need to be plugged in. Yesterday I did 20 miles in crappy 5N > 57N traffic, it took a while but I used the radar cruise and wasn't too bothered by it, haha. When I got home, the trip summary popped up and in those 20 miles I averaged 65 mpg.

That's something else I'm happy about with this car - if anything I think their MPG estimates are actually conservative, assuming you drive it gently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta View Post
I'm in the same situation and anxious to buy a Niro in the coming months. Just as yourself, my first hybrid. I'll be selling my 2003 Jaguar S Type and my 2012 GMC Terrain. There is a chance we'll be purchasing two!
Well I'm not going to soften the blow on this one - you're going to miss the power. The Niro is a lot of things, but fast is not one of them. As long as you're prepared for it though, it shouldn't be an issue. You just have to plan a little farther ahead when making lane changes and merging onto freeways. But that is, at least in part, the price you pay for 50 mpg without being a plug-in or EV. And for me, it's totally worth it. This car with something like the premium package or the touring model, is an amazing commuting car with a massive amount of high tech features, and it actually makes commuting enjoyable for me, and more relaxing.

2018 Kia Niro
EX Premium
Metal Stream
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the additional information. I was considering a Chevy olt for about 3 minutes, but with these reports am now really excited about getting the Kia. As for power, I'll adapt fine. I never expected it to match a 300hp Jaguar! I still have a motorcycle when I need to save fuel and go fast!
lafe005 and Xaqtly like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:58 PM

Congrats on getting your Niro!

Welcome to the forum.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page