Niro LX with Tech package - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Red face Niro LX with Tech package

Just got my new Metal Stream LX with the Advanced Tech Package yesterday. I'm coming from a beast of a 2004 Mercury Sable that got less than 20 mpg in the city.
As expected, I'm trying to figure out all the features.
I'm reading as much as I can here, before I ask a question that has been answered 10 times already.
The first thing that comes to mind is "Does the LX accept MIFI?" Aside from a quick yes or no, don't reply if it's listed elsewhere. I'll find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:31 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Niro! That's certainly a big upgrade in tech from your 2004 Sable.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Glad to have another owner on the forum.

What other vehicles were you looking into before deciding to get the Niro?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes there is a BIG difference between my Sable where "Climate Control" was the wildest tech.

I was looking for specific dimensions not so much for a certain car: A wagon, low enough that my Mom can get into, (hip and knee replacements make it difficult to get into my brother's CRV) "Better gas mileage than the Sable, and the option to carry my toys on the roof (kayak, bike, etc). I was pretty much down to the Niro and the Hyundai Kona, it's "twin." The Gas mileage and the placement of the computer display (it sticks out on the Kona) were some outstanding features. I don't like the back end of a Prius where the angle "wastes" the last few feet of roof space with the back window.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 PM

That Prius/Tesla/Ioniq angle "waste" is a large part of the reason they get such good gas mileage: Aerodynamics! Lots of modern sedans have a very similar shape because it is just so efficient.

The Kona has virtually identical dimensions to the Niro - a few inches shorter. But it will be a while before the hybrid is available so it is not really an option right now if you are looking for an efficient car.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLH1310 View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes there is a BIG difference between my Sable where "Climate Control" was the wildest tech.

I was looking for specific dimensions not so much for a certain car: A wagon, low enough that my Mom can get into, (hip and knee replacements make it difficult to get into my brother's CRV) "Better gas mileage than the Sable, and the option to carry my toys on the roof (kayak, bike, etc). I was pretty much down to the Niro and the Hyundai Kona, it's "twin." The Gas mileage and the placement of the computer display (it sticks out on the Kona) were some outstanding features. I don't like the back end of a Prius where the angle "wastes" the last few feet of roof space with the back window.
The Niro's "twin" is the Ioniq, the Kona and Niro are completely unrelated. The Kona will likely never have a hybrid version. Niro and Ioniq share their platform and powertrain, even though the Ioniq is shaped much more like the Prius.

The flat angle of the Ioniq and Prius adds to fuel economy, it's a more slippery shape, but as you noticed, it's a less useful shape to the cargo area. The Niro squares that shape off, but the cost of that is about 5 MPG. I'm actually glad Hyundai and Kia did things this way, because you can directly compare the aerodynamics versus the useful squared-off cargo area. 5 MPG isn't all that significant to my mind.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 AM

I needed the Niro for the particular shape of the interior, but on paper, the Ioniq actually has more capacity. I happen to really like the way the Ioniq looks, and if I didn't need to put bicycles in upright, I never would have considered the Niro. The efficiency difference is best case actually more like 15%, which I think is pretty significant, especially at higher speeds.

You are right about the Kona, not planned for a hybrid version. A Kona EV will be released later this year, but won't hit NA until 2019.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page