New PHEV EX owner - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BridgeTripTrapper
  • 1 Post By brandent
  • 2 Post By hawke

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

New PHEV EX owner

Hi everyone. we just picked up our PHEV EX in MA. After a lot of back and forth with multiple dealers we got our EX for $29,395, just over $3k off MSRP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:35 PM

Hey nice work there! I got the same car in MA for 29900 back in May. We still love it, best car I've owned. My state rebate was approved a few weeks ago, still waiting on the check.
safari likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Congrats on the new car! With the fully electric model on the horizon, I'm surprised that dealers are being so stingy with the PHEV's pricing.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen View Post
Congrats on the new car! With the fully electric model on the horizon, I'm surprised that dealers are being so stingy with the PHEV's pricing.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say because there's only a couple hundred in the whole US. There are 755 Kia dealers and about 300 Niro PHEV (most still in transit to dealers) in the entire country and over 1/3 of those cars are in California at the 70 California dealers. The other 680 or so have a grand total of under 200 Niro PHEVs. Why would they discount them?
charlesH likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM

I purchased my Niro PHEV five weeks ago from a dealership in western Washington state. I found out quickly that any plans I had of getting a "deal" were unrealistic. I went through all the new car websites establishing my pricing criteria for any dealer to get my business. Not one of them would go less than invoice. It also didn't help that I only wanted a black Niro EX with charcoal interior, but I doubt anything would have changed because of the low supply. I found one dealership that had it in stock and I jumped on it. I'm glad I did. Up to weeks later I still had other dealers contacting me and telling me they'd like to sell me a Niro PHEV and that they "expected to get some in soon". I have no regrets so far - love this car - drive only on electric but I'm making a trip outside our rural community this week and I'll be using gas for the first time since driving it home from the dealership. If you want the PHEV like I did - get the best deal you can and buy it. Otherwise you'll probably have a better chance getting a deal on a Niro HEV - at least that was my experience.

Last edited by hawke; 08-14-2018 at 02:48 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Welcome to the forum!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Does WA have it's own state credit on PHEVs? If so, that may make WA dealers less likely to negotiate.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM

The state had a sales tax exemption in place but it required electric vehicles to achieve a range of at least 30 miles so the Niro PHEV wouldn't have qualified anyway. On the plus side, the state charges an annual fee of $150 to those vehicles that achieve a minimum range of 30 miles, so Niro PHEV owners in WA avoid this annual fee.
yticolev and safari like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
The state had a sales tax exemption in place but it required electric vehicles to achieve a range of at least 30 miles so the Niro PHEV wouldn't have qualified anyway. On the plus side, the state charges an annual fee of $150 to those vehicles that achieve a minimum range of 30 miles, so Niro PHEV owners in WA avoid this annual fee.
Hmmm,I am in WA state and did not know about thw $150 fee...boy they try to get you anyway they can...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page