PHEV spare tire - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congee View Post
I had to use a Tire Mobility Kit with my '14 Forte5. The setup was easy but when I went to turn it on everything leaked out of the hose right before the metal fastener that screws on to the tire valve stem. The canister contents ended up all over me, the car, the road. None made it to the valve stem, let alone the tire. That crap sticks like crazy.
Oh yeah, Fix-A-Flat is nasty stuff. Plus if you use it the tire is toast, maybe the wheel too and the valve stem will be glued shut making it impossible to safely deflate the tire before removing it from the rim. Finally, the guy at the tire shop will want to murder you and your family for making him deal with the disgusting mess.

Probably better to just call for roadside assistance.
Johnxyz likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

jmurphEV the idea of that tire coved with everything in one place is really a nice package. I might investigation that, now if we can think of a good way to secure it so if heaven forbid we have a rollover it doesn't become a projectile in the vehicle we'll be set.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:00 AM

I had a flat on the road and used the repair kit. I lasted a short time, but I was able to limp back home by airing up every 15-20 minutes. I bought a spare tire kit on EBay and carry the tire when I travel. The jack parts stow under the rear cargo area. The flat happened late at night and it would have taken hours for roadside assistance to arrive.
Johnxyz likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
I am curious if anyone who has a Niro PHEV has decided to buy a spare and tire change kit and how they store it?

You cant, they cant and nobody cant!...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-05 20_43_56-Window.png
Views:	56
Size:	671.2 KB
ID:	4971  

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Your correct, I am well aware the spare tire compartment is filled with the battery. My question was directed to individuals who have decided they needed/wanted a spare - what they went with and if or how they secured it in the vehicle. Some have already mentioned temporarily carrying it on the luggage rails on top the car - one fellow even mentioned a hitch and accessory to carry it outside the vehicle. Another inventive PHEV Niro owner was nice enough to post a tire package kit with cover that included the tire and jack etc. I bet someone somewhere has thought of a good way to fasten the tire down inside the vehicle without modifications to the interior vehicle.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Some have already mentioned temporarily carrying it on the luggage rails on top the car.
That could be cool t have a "Crocodile Dundee" version of the Niro!
Johnxyz likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input and personal experiences. I knew in the back of my mind I felt I needed a back up plan for a flat other than the mobility kit. Your experiences confirmed what I was thinking. I bought a pre owned 2019 Kia Niro Spare Tire Kit on Ebay for $175. This include spare mounted on the Niro rim with all the tools in the styrofoam holer. I think I will also buy a tire plug repair kit and put in the glove box. Using the mobility kit will only be a last resort.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:52 AM

If you only use your Niro with the back seats down, you should be able to rig your spare tire flat against the right passenger door. That will maximize your load area for other purposes, perhaps such as sleeping in the back.
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

One thing I will be interested in when the spare arrives is looking at the spare tire storage area under the battery very closely. I am aware the extra capacity Plug In Hybid battery sits on top of the place where the Hybid only spare is stored and partially covers the area. If the battery sets flat above the storage place I wonder is there is a way to possibly slide the spare into this space under the battery. Probably not and there may be safety and performance reasons that this would be a fools folly. The idea does interest me though.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Better would be to raise the entire load floor to make room for the tire. But that's only slightly less crazy.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page