PHEV spare tire - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

PHEV spare tire

I am curious if anyone who has a Niro PHEV has decided to buy a spare and tire change kit and how they store it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
I am curious if anyone who has a Niro PHEV has decided to buy a spare and tire change kit and how they store it?
I decided not to because there's no way to store it without losing cargo space plus having to deal with securing it. I do have the "Tire Mobility Kit" though so no worries right?
Johnxyz likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
I decided not to because there's no way to store it without losing cargo space plus having to deal with securing it. I do have the "Tire Mobility Kit" though so no worries right?
And roadside assistance
In all honesty, those things are good enough for 99% of drivers and driving situations. The only time I'd consider carrying a spare is if I was going to be driving offroad and far from cell service. Not worth the added weight and losing the cargo space otherwise.

When I start going camping a bunch this summer, I'm considering buying a rooftop cargo rack and putting a spare up there - I'd be mostly off-highway so the MPG consequence is insignificant. No loss in interior cargo space, and easy to strap down. Then I'd just store it in the garage when I get back home.
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 PHEV
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys. We just got a 2019 Phev Niro and I was interested in what more experienced owners were doing.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
And roadside assistance
In all honesty, those things are good enough for 99% of drivers and driving situations. The only time I'd consider carrying a spare is if I was going to be driving offroad and far from cell service. Not worth the added weight and losing the cargo space otherwise.
That's actually an interesting idea. The vast majority of my driving is commuting and I'm ok with a little inconvenience if I blow a tire on the way to or from work. It would be significantly less OK if my wife and I were stranded on the interstate in the middle of nowhere waiting for AAA to find us. It might be worth putting together a "travel kit" that included a spare tire and related tools. You could probably come up with a storage solution such as a moderately large pelican case that would hold the whole thing and make it easy to get in and out of the car. I might want to price that out and see what it would cost to put something like that together.
Johnxyz likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Your thoughts are similar to mine. I am fine on our local commute without a spare. If my wife, child or the family were traveling I feel better with a spare available. We camp and hike in some remote areas and I 'm not sure Roadside assistance is available in some of these areas.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:40 PM

You don't want a roof rack unless you are willing to take a 5 mpg plus hit on efficiency. A better option would be a tow hitch and accessory to carry the tire, preferably swing out or down so you could access the hatch. Of course, you would have a great story if you had to hike ten miles out from your campsite for cell coverage to call for service!
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:38 PM

I was uncomfortable with the PHEV's absence of a spare tire, until I thought back on how long it had been since I had a flat that required a tire change (rather than just pumping some air into the tire). That brought back a memory of a time more than 25 years ago when I was poor and driving on tires that were on borrowed time. There was one very hot day when I made the naive choice to drive down a paved road that was in poor condition. The combination of heat and rough surface caught up with me quickly. I got a flat about two miles down that road. Got out, changed the tire, and 20 minutes later was merrily on my way, with about six more miles to go before my anticipated turn on to a better road. Unfortunately, I only manged about three of those six miles before I had my second flat, and I was out of spare tires at that point. No cell phone in those days, had to walk to someone's house, persuade them to let me use their phone, and call family for help.

One of the lessons learned from that day was to replace my tires well before they are worn far enough that they can easily blow out. And now that I can afford to live by that rule, I do. Another lesson was that having one spare tire isn't necessarily enough, depending on the conditions you find yourself in, but that lesson wasn't persuasive enough for me to begin carrying two spare tires at all times. Instead, I just concluded to avoid getting into a situation where my tires were in questionable condition.

Somewhere in the interim, I visited the Guadalupe mountains in West Texas. It was a very rural location, but my employer had an operation there. One of the first things I recognized on that trip was that there was one tire company within 100 miles of my employer's operation, and they absolutely adored my employer because we were paying them to replace two or three damaged large truck tires every day. That site (largely off-road) was **** on tires.

So yeah - the Niro seems to be especially popular with folks who like to visit back country areas, and anyone visiting those kinds of locations would do well to bring a spare if they can (and also a jack, and tire iron). 99% of the time, you won't need it, but it's a real drag to walk 25 miles to get a cell signal to call a tow truck, and the probability of that happening increases when you visit certain kinds of remote areas (like West Texas).

Unfortunately, the Niro's rear hatch opens up, rather than to the side. My wife's 99 CRV had a rear door that opened to the side, and that made it possible for Honda to mount the spare tire outside the car, Jeep style. It probably would detract from fuel economy if we did something like that with a Niro, but it would be nice to have the option.
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Garage
Ok, a little research produces the fact that that the spare tire for the Niro is a T125/80 R16. Plugging that into tiresize.com's calculator gives me a 24" diameter and 5" width for the mounted tire. 5" is narrow enough to just sit it on the floor behind the front seats even with the rear seats folded. The jack and tool kit fits into the rim so that's handy.

A simple tire caddy like this:

https://www.amazon.com/FLR-Adjustabl...-2-spons&psc=1

Should hold the whole thing and let me just stash it in the car when I need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tirebag.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	4969  
Johnxyz likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
I had to use a Tire Mobility Kit with my '14 Forte5. The setup was easy but when I went to turn it on everything leaked out of the hose right before the metal fastener that screws on to the tire valve stem. The canister contents ended up all over me, the car, the road. None made it to the valve stem, let alone the tire. That crap sticks like crazy.
Johnxyz likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page