Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Kia Niro Can Tow

43K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  yticolev 
#1 ·
It's been uploaded by Kia last month but I don't think it's been posted yet. The Niro is shown towing another car and there's an optional 1,300 kg towing capacity available from Q4 2016. Unusual for a hybrid SUV but exciting. Perfect for small trailers.

#2 ·
That sort of towing capacity will allow you to tow a small boat or entry-level camper quite easily without worry about if you're stressing any components since it's always good to never tow right up to the towing capacity range. Some people I know only go right up to 75% of the rating.

#3 ·
Makes me think what the optional 1,300 kg towing feature includes. I assume the Kia Niro base model without the option has the ability to tow anyways. Maybe an extra tow bar or tow ball? Depending on how much this costs, you could be able to Diy something instead of going OEM.

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure the Niro platform won't be changed with or without the tow package so you're most likely paying for the towing equipment than any chassis changes. You can most likely Diy your own rig that could end up performing better than the OEM parts.

#17 ·
Niro Touring towing: I'm new to the forum/discussion, and confused, so I apologize if I missed the initial discussion. My KIA dealer informed me the Niro Touring is not approved for towing/hitch, KIA offers no towing package, and will not support warranty for Niro being used for towing. You guys make it sound like a done deal. What's the official scoop?

#18 ·
Depends on the country. In the US, Kia officially doesn't support towing. In Europe, it's a different story, but again might differ by country. You'd have to check with dealers in the specific area of interest.

#19 ·
In the US, a warranty issue would have to be proven to be caused by your modification to void coverage. Do what you like, but take heart that the Niro is approved in Europe for towing up to 750 kg trailers with brakes. That is the identical Niro to ours with respect to cooling systems and brakes. Original marketing from 2017 referred to a towing package (again in Europe, but that option has never been made available anywhere). Most just want a tow mount for a bicycle rack - can't even imagine what a warranty issue would come from that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.