Cleaning questions - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:48 PM

This is a little too late, but just a word on the leather seats and their care...

The majority of “leather” seats in today’s cars are coated with a plastic layer. If you drop water on the seats and it doesn’t darken the color, then they are coated. In this case, there is no need to apply conditioner to the leather since it won’t be absorbed into the leather itself and just sit on the top of the coating. I’ve seen/heard someone say that the conditioner will permeate past the coating and get into the leather, but I’m dubious of that claim. The main thing you want to do is apply a sacrificial layer of some product that will protect the coating and layer,

I’ve seen some pros on YouTube even recommend applying a spray sealant that you would use on the paint to protect the leather from sun and dirt. I haven’t tried that yet and I still use a leather “conditioner” that smells like leather. However, it is not one of those fancy products that claims to “nourish the leather.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

i have had rather good luck with 303 products for protecting the dash and vinyl areas of the car. unlike the dreaded Armour All, this stuff doesn't go on shiny, and seems to absorb into any of the softer parts. We have used it with my wifes now 13 year old Kia Sportage and the dash looks as new as the day we got it. Some great stuff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page