Colorado Niro - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM

What do you mean by "switchback"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM

Niro hood is aluminum. So I would expect it to dent easily from large-sized hail.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Niro mountain trip was great....Niro performed nicely with mountainous driving.
Neo likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Hey All,
I hope that this is OK, but I was thinking about starting a thread about the adventures of driving a Niro in the Colorado. Colorado can present a number of challenges for a car from the weather and road conditions to what we ask our cars to do out here. My hope is that this will help inform other about this cars abilities.
I will dispense with some of MY particulars and jump right in to todayís challenge Ö. Damaging Hail.
So, my 3 week old Niro was involved a golf ball size or larger hail event this afternoon. Yep, the weather gods are not happy with me. So, now my Niro is no longer a virgin, let the door dings begin.
All the cars in the area were heavily damaged, including mine. The one plus I can add is that the, rear visor over the back window (not sure what the correct term is) must have acted as a hail shield and protected the back window from being shattered as had happened to a number of cars. I am also glad that I donít have a sunroof; many were shattered.
Pictures attached.
Later, I will talk about driving switchback in the mountain. That will be more fun J
Neo
I'm moving to Westminster, CO the end of Sept. haven't driven in snow......I'm wondering what it will be like. :O
Neo likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Neo

First Real Snow

Sorry, it has been a while. So, we had our first real snow fall today. By time I started my drive we had about 4 in. and the temp. was a around 32F. Before I get too far along in describing by commute, full disclosure, I am run on new snow tires. More on those further down.

The Niro did great! I love the car's handling, which I think is one of the more important factors in winter drive. I kept the trans in Eco mode and I don't think I saw the traction light come on at all. Speeds down the foothills was only about 20-25 mph because I was behind a slow Subaru, but I know from Facebook that at least one owner of an AWD vehicle drove back home and waited for the roads to be cleared more. For me, the path was plowed so all was good.

This brings to my mantra, Snow Tires, Snow Tires, Snow Tires ... Worried about how any vehicle will do in the snow? Get a second set of wheels and put good snow tires on them. In all of the important criteria, your driving performance will greatly improve in the snow. A car's handle is significantly affected by the tire and driving in snow is no different. In the real world driving, I believe my FWD car performs better on snowy roads than a AWD or 4WD vehicle with the all season or off-road tires those drives tend to use. Now, if I just had a few more inches of ground clearance I would be unstoppable.

Second point, I went with Tire Racks latest recommendation for the Niro which is actually to put smaller wheels (15 in.) and taller tires (65 ratio) on the car. I was skeptical but this tire and wheel combo was cheaper. After driving on then, I really like the added tire height. I feels like it is absorbing the bumps and snow ruts a lot better than how I imagine the OEM tires sizes would have.

Note dog pictures added for snow depth reference. Tire tracks on that long driveway made with the Niro, trying to pack down the snow for tomorrows drive back up the driveway.

OK, Have fun out there ...

Neo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3294 R2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	2178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3298 R2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	2186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3293 R.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	2194  
extech67 likes this.

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to show these people a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Last edited by Neo; 10-09-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Add better pic of the driveway
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM

People drove in snow for nearly 100 years before FWD cars, so it can be done.

Also, I love snow, dont get much of it here...too bad.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page