Colorado Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Neo

Colorado Niro

Hey All,
I hope that this is OK, but I was thinking about starting a thread about the adventures of driving a Niro in the Colorado. Colorado can present a number of challenges for a car from the weather and road conditions to what we ask our cars to do out here. My hope is that this will help inform other about this cars abilities.
I will dispense with some of MY particulars and jump right in to today’s challenge …. Damaging Hail.
So, my 3 week old Niro was involved a golf ball size or larger hail event this afternoon. Yep, the weather gods are not happy with me. So, now my Niro is no longer a virgin, let the door dings begin.
All the cars in the area were heavily damaged, including mine. The one plus I can add is that the, rear visor over the back window (not sure what the correct term is) must have acted as a hail shield and protected the back window from being shattered as had happened to a number of cars. I am also glad that I don’t have a sunroof; many were shattered.
Pictures attached.
Later, I will talk about driving switchback in the mountain. That will be more fun J
Neo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2960a2.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2962 a.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	1202  
extech67 likes this.

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to show these people a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Neo

Hail
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2968a.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1210  

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to show these people a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Jay

I just saw a video of the dark cloud that swept down and dumped hail over Denver. My condolences.
Neo likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 AM

NEO ---

Very sad for your experience with hail.

Hopefully, insurance will cover and seems like you might get totaled (new car maybe).

Worst hail I have ever had was about 5 minutes (golf ball size or a little smaller) on a 1990 Pontiac that was a couple years old. You could see dings, but not bad. Insurance paid me $1200 and I left it as it was.

Traded it in 1995 - don't think trade in adjuster noticed (got a good trade value). I am sure larger hail would be another story.
Neo and extech67 like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Wow....that hail sure did a number on the roof! It's hard to see but I'm guessing that the hood got it too.
That would be almost impossible to fix.
Are you expecting a write off?
Neo likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Neo

Thanks for the condolences.

I don't think it's possible for hail to total a car. That said just about every horizontal surface of the car is dented. I attached some better pics of the damage. I seems that the damage is pretty extreme, as the size of the dents. In particular I was surprised by the depth of the dents on the A pillars, which should be very strong. Not sure how that's going to be repaired.

My bigger concern is that I want to make sure that the windshield is replaced with the OEM sound absorbing glass.

Wish me luck, I really love this little car.

Neo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2355r.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	1218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2320r.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	1226  

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Neo

A pillar dent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2357r.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1242  

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
In particular I was surprised by the depth of the dents on the A pillars, which should be very strong. Not sure how that's going to be repaired.
I have no doubt they are strong. Engineering focuses on strength where it is needed. That A pillar, even now, will absorb/resist a force trying to bend the whole pillar from a side impact or rollover. But the skin can be dented pretty easily. If it can't, you are driving a tank, not a car.

Think about an empty Coke can. Pretty strong, or strong enough, when full. Can stack hundreds high.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Neo

yticolev,

Yep, not questioning the structural strength the pillar. What I was referring to was that outside surface of the this structural member is pretty stiff because the surface that the hail hit is short before it turns down away from the hit. There really shouldn't be a lot of give of surface as opposed to say the hood or roof. But, the hail slammed do hard into the car that it left one heck of the dent. Mind you other cars in the parking lot also had dents in the same area, though I don't think as deep. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the sheet metal might thinner on the Niro for weight saves, but I'll take that fuel saving as long as the car passes the crash test

Neo

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:21 AM

Colorado

I am picking up a new one this week - I sure hope I like it and I cannot wait to see how it performs in the mountains. Keep me posted on yours! Any engine issues like on the Help thread forum? Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page