2018 Niro in WA state test - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tgm?1959

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

2018 Niro in WA state test

Just an item of interest ... I am about 4 months into a 1 year study with WA state to evaluate the comparison of tax at the fuel pump verses a tax based primarily on miles driven. I have a separate GPS tracker that sends data every time the ignition is turned on to some gizmo in the sky that compiles data from over 2000(?) vehicles recording and sending data to study. I get a readout link for every trip that shows all kinds of data, including most importantly, what the approximate fuel tax would be based upon my mileage (currently calculated at about 49.5mpg) verses what I would be taxed based upon miles driven. Currently, I would be paying more than twice as much for miles driven basis verses WA state's very high fuel tax. When I pointed this out to researchers, they noted that compared to the average WA state registered car, I would still be paying less because I am using far less fuel (stats to support this were included). However, that doesn't help me since this is my 2nd hybrid and I am on my 5th year of hybrid driving. I am out of the state about 1/2 the year and they know that and need to factor that into the algorithm since many cars with cross back and forth between OR/WA and ID/WA. I also urged them to include a vehicle-weight factor in their final algorithm so that the heavier cars will pay more to recognize that they cause more road damage. Of course, all electric vehicles will present an entirely different issue. This is just a study and would take legislative approval to implement.
Dovidan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 PM

That sounds grossly unfair for any out of state trips. You will be paying double fuel tax effectively.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:58 AM

Garage
I'm in WA state too. I'm aware of that program....seen it mentioned on the news tons of times. I'm not a part of it myself, though.

Is the program outside of the populous Western Washington (King/Pierce/Snohomish) too, or just the Seattle Metropolis area? It seems to me, to be legit, it would need to out in rural Washington too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

If implemented, it would only be for miles driven in WA.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

It is for the entire state. Many applied and we were screened. I am in Spokane and spend 5-6 months of year in AZ. They were interested in me because of eastern WA and because I am out of state 1/2 year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page