Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

First week of ownership

10K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  ratman2k 
#1 ·
it's been a busy but fun week sorting the stuff on Niro. 51.4mpg on first tank with A/C on the whole time. I was expecting 45mpg before purchasing the car. with current commute/style i should easily achieve 50-55mpg once the car is broken-in saving me about $1300 a year on gas compare to my previous RX350 [19-20mpg]. 50% tint does good job blocking out the sun and adds little more "sport" to my S Touring. KIA crossbar is substantial compare to the after market one I have on my other car and indeed noisy above 50mph. DL light bulb was recommended by other forum member and yes, it's noticeably bright without being offensive. :)

* AUXITO 912 921 LED Backup Light Bulbs. [Amazon]
* CIIHON H11 H8 H9 LED Fog Light Bulb 1800 Lumens 6000K. [Amazon]
* all interior LED conversion [Walmart]
* 4PCS Smoked Window Sun Vent Visor Rain Guards. [Ebay]
* WeatherTech Cargo Liner. [WeatherTech.com]
* 50% tint on front windows.[local shop]
* Curt Class3 hitch. [rockauto]
* Kia crossbar. [Kia accessories]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Most modern cars do not demonstrate any additional mpg from break in. Mine hasn't in 24,000 miles now. Strictly climate and driving style differences for me. My lifetime mpg is 52 mpg. It would be closer to 54 mpg had I driven it all summer in the most efficient temperatures (where it is typically getting 57 mpg). Instead, I prioritized riding my motorcycle which gets 78 mpg in the same conditions. Mind you, I have a much more efficient model than you and limit my speed to 65 mph. But of course, you will be doing far better than your prior car.

I used to live in Baltimore and drive to Glen Echo once or twice a week in a front wheel drive only 1979 Subaru as about the only times I drove the car. I drove briskly, ahem, (bat out of ****) down the parkway or 95 and the beltway, and got a wonderful 29 mpg out of the Subaru. Finally ended up selling it in DC for $1,000 with 180,000 miles on it because I just couldn't get the sucker to wear out. Still miss it 20 years later.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum @sightland...

I really like those dark alloy wheels! You guy's in the states are lucky to have them! :)

did you have a hard time to change the back-up lights for the LED's ?

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum @sightland...

I really like those dark alloy wheels! You guy's in the states are lucky to have them! :)
did you have a hard time to change the back-up lights for the LED's ?

looks like S Touring is only available for 2019 in the US. I was going to wait for 2020 with revised nose but didn't see the S model listed in Korea. aside from black wheels, S has silver grill which brighten up the front.

backup and all the LED light bulbs were easy to replace. including the DL, interior bulbs, and backup, i must of spent total of 30 mins to do them all at the same time. next LED headlight which should also take less than 15 minutes.

#5 ·
sightland: Thanks for posting and for the pics; your Niro looks great! About your 4PCS Smoked Window Sun Vent Visor Rain Guards - lots of questions:
How easy was the install? Are these the kind that attach by friction in the window channel or do they have adhesive tape?
Are they silent?
Do they extend below your mirror or interfere with folding mirror in any way
Do they distort your vision at all?
There are a number of these on Ebay; can you provide a link to the ones you got.
Thanks

#6 ·
sightland:
How easy was the install? Are these the kind that attach by friction in the window channel or do they have adhesive tape?
Are they silent?
Do they extend below your mirror or interfere with folding mirror in any way
Do they distort your vision at all?
There are a number of these on Ebay; can you provide a link to the ones you got.
Thanks

Hi Dovidan, this is what i got from many styles. seems lower profile than others and has open end on rear door piece. it's a perfect fit and tape on type. I had in-channel types in the past but it's no good especially on modern cars with virtually no gap between the seal and the window. No interference and noise issue.

www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Smoked-Window...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

#12 ·
Just got these, same ones you have. No instructions included. Called the supplier, they were no help.

Seems pretty straight forward but just checking to avoid messing anything up. I assume you just :

1. Clean the area that the tape goes with alcohol & let it dry

2. line the visor up where you want it

3. Start peeling the tape at one end & lightly stick it on in place as you gradually peel away the tape.

4. If they are not where you want em, peel off & try again.

5. If they are positioned where you want em, firmly rub / press the sticky part down for long term adhesion. Then they are good to go, rain or shine (rain here in Seattle).

Am I missing anything? Thanks

#19 ·
Reactions: jgregv
#13 ·
Well, that was easy -- just as described in previous post.

I didn't get the Kia ones because they cost is 4x of the ebay ones. Plus the ebay ones are more streamlined, doing the same job but blend in with the car's overall lines.

The only negative is that the width of the end of back door vent doesn't match the end end of the front door one -- it is wider & sticks out a bit more. Nothing major, just would be nice if they matched exactly.

Reactions: jgregv
#16 ·
I won't really be using the crossbars or the snowboard mounts all the time. They'll be fore the few times a year where I carpool with friends, so I'll need to fit like 4-5 adults plus all the gears.

I will definitely have to look into wind noises for the crossbars

#23 ·
it's been a busy but fun week sorting the stuff on Niro. 51.4mpg on first tank with A/C on the whole time. I was expecting 45mpg before purchasing the car. with current commute/style i should easily achieve 50-55mpg once the car is broken-in saving me about $1300 a year on gas compare to my previous RX350 [19-20mpg].
* Kia crossbar. [Kia accessories]

That is not the Kia Factory Crossbar is it? Perhaps it wouldn't be noisy if it were OEM.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.