Touring vs Base Model Steering/Handling - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Question Touring vs Base Model Steering/Handling

I test drove the base model Niro a few weeks ago before any Tourings were on the lot locally, and I found the steering to be super sensitive and the car to feel like it wasn't gripping the road -- it was a very floaty kind of feeling, something I've never experienced in other cars. I actually felt some motion sickness while driving it, which has never happened before, and I have test driven other hybrids.

The thing is that in all the reviews I've read, I haven't read anything similar to what I experienced, but most reviews are of the Touring model, which is heavier. So, I'm wondering if the extra weight may contribute to a different driving feel.

Those of you who purchased the Touring, did you compare it to the base model and notice any difference in how it handled?

What about the steering? My daughter was in the backseat during the test drive and she noticed it as well. I've read other Kia models have the same issue I experienced where the slightest adjustment to the wheel caused the car to respond, making steering a bit of a chore/challenge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randmel View Post
I test drove the base model Niro a few weeks ago before any Tourings were on the lot locally, and I found the steering to be super sensitive and the car to feel like it wasn't gripping the road -- it was a very floaty kind of feeling, something I've never experienced in other cars. I actually felt some motion sickness while driving it, which has never happened before, and I have test driven other hybrids.

The thing is that in all the reviews I've read, I haven't read anything similar to what I experienced, but most reviews are of the Touring model, which is heavier. So, I'm wondering if the extra weight may contribute to a different driving feel.

Those of you who purchased the Touring, did you compare it to the base model and notice any difference in how it handled?

What about the steering? My daughter was in the backseat during the test drive and she noticed it as well. I've read other Kia models have the same issue I experienced where the slightest adjustment to the wheel caused the car to respond, making steering a bit of a chore/challenge.
Yes, it was noted that the steering was VERY easy and responsive. I test drove both but not back to back so not sure how they compare. I don't recall the specs now, but some cars (of other makes) could have assist with the steering, etc. which would change the way they feel or how they respond.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 PM

I love the handling -- been basically less than 50MPH on mine and a lot of East TN county roads (significant curves). It's an EX Model.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 PM

I saw a drive test of the Touring that tested it on a skid pad and got an outstanding 0.9G!!
My Niro Touring has Michelin Green Primacy MXMM4 225/45R18 tires on it. These do not get particularly good rating in rain and snow, but I am not an aggressive driver and it seems to not have any problems for me in the wet but I have not tried snow yet.

My feeling is it drives on them pretty well, not too much corner lean and it seems to hold on OK.

The sports mode apparently tightens up the steering a bit too but I have not driven on that extensively to compare.

I did not test other models, I wanted the goodies (heated steering and heat/cool seats etc. ) as I was replacing a loaded 2012 Optima EX turbo that got sideswiped (groan). This is a lot less powerful but I think actually handles better. The EX was a bit softer suspension (I would have got the SX but the seats hurt my butt.)

Last edited by nickfixit; 12-19-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page