A few thoughts and question on driving mode - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

I have driving a Prius V (15), Optima Hybrid (14), Acura ILX (14) and they all had the simular feel with the acceliration. I asked the Toyota dealer and he explained to me that they do that on purpose. Unlike a gas engine the hybrid is more logrithmic in it progressively gets faster and faster the further you press. So, the beginning of the press seems to do nothing, but it ramps up fast as you push further. The sport mode is designed to be more like a car in the initial press is quite sensitive but the down side to that is that it doesn't take much of a push to exceed the initial power delivery by the electric motor and have the system kick in the gas motor to assist in rapid acceleration. After you start moving (usually with a jerk) the gas motor backs off and allows the electric motor to do more of it's thing that saves you in fuel economy.

This seems to be comon along all the hybrid lines that I have tried. I have been told that ECO mode will give you a better fuel and it just takes a bit of time and practice to get use to it and make it seem second nature to you. The only down side is if you switch between gas and hybrid cars as they drive different with the acceleration profile. Then you'd likely want to just keep the car in Sport mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:07 PM

I've never had my Niro in the sport mode only "eco" and it seems plenty peppy to me. On our recent trip to Pa. and back it was just fine on the highway. It accelerates smartly up to 78 which is where I usually set the cruise control when able.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:16 PM

As someone I think in this forum put it a while back, he had to adjust his 'mind-to-foot' reflex. IOW, it's not that it doesn't have the power, it's that it won't be as linear at first- you have to travel a bit farther on pedal to get up to speed.. and after a slight pause if from a stop, to let the auto-clutch release. It's natural to me now, so no problem. I think also there's what I call the 'Tetris Effect' in many drivers, where they have to fill the space in front immediately, even though they will arrive at the next light or traffic flow at the same time regardless.
I rarely use the Sport mode, but it's nice to have. The one time I put it in Sport mode and by accident moved the shifter down into 1st gear, the torque was very strong- it does have very good torque and at a low-rpm. I think if that's not enough power, you're in the wrong place. You need to be driving a Dodge Charger.
FlNiro likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
As someone I think in this forum put it a while back, he had to adjust his 'mind-to-foot' reflex. IOW, it's not that it doesn't have the power, it's that it won't be as linear at first- you have to travel a bit farther on pedal to get up to speed.. and after a slight pause if from a stop, to let the auto-clutch release. It's natural to me now, so no problem. I think also there's what I call the 'Tetris Effect' in many drivers, where they have to fill the space in front immediately, even though they will arrive at the next light or traffic flow at the same time regardless.
I rarely use the Sport mode, but it's nice to have. The one time I put it in Sport mode and by accident moved the shifter down into 1st gear, the torque was very strong- it does have very good torque and at a low-rpm. I think if that's not enough power, you're in the wrong place. You need to be driving a Dodge Charger.
Ha, yep that last sentence is right. These cars aren't really meant to be sporty, they're meant for fuel economy. You can't really have both, at least not without spending twice as much money.

That's why I kept my other car for weekends. When I want 450ft/lbs of torque so I can have some fun, I'll use that. Otherwise, my Niro is the daily driver, and I really couldn't care less how torquey it feels. It drives nice and is crazy cheap to run, that's all that matters to me.

2018 PHEV
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:56 PM

I used the sport mode once to see if the selection of lower gears would provide a higher level of battery regeneration when coming to a stop. In a word.. nope. Just taking my foot off the gas and some minor breaking the transmission does a good job of changing to lower gears. I also like that when going down a long fairly steep hill while in cruse control [not active, just plane old standard CC] the engine/xmission maintains the selected speed.
I also have a disagreement with those that think the acceleration is sluggish. If the xmission is engaged in the 1st gear [I won't go into the "if" part] with minimal gas pressure & steady but not forceful pressure, I'm pushed back into my seat. Period. In CA most freeway speed limit is 65 [some 70] and unless it's stop & crawl, the average is at least 5 MPH over. I have no problem merging on and maintaining the current speed.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:24 PM

I have always owned manual shift cars. The Niro is the first automatic I have and I love the DCT and I think the ECO mode works and feel as expected. They should put that in every cars. There is just no point in how fast you drive between two red lights!

2018 FE, MA
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yea. but if you drive super fast and swerve in and out of each lane so you can get those 2 extra cars further, then you win.. The very special prise of being called an absolute **** by every other driver who you managed to cut off or almost hit in the process.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page