Potential Buyer - Impressed after first drive - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Potential Buyer - Impressed after first drive

I've been slowly looking into the possibiliy of replacing my aging 2007 RAV4 and decided to include the Niro in my shortlist. Last week I test drove the Hyundai Ioniq and this weekend I got a chance to drive both a Niro and Sportage. So far out of the three vehicles I mentioned I really liked the Niro and is probably (as of now) the leading candidate. The Ioniq felt a bit bland in terms of looks. To be honest the Niro is nothing special either but I really like the features the Touring trim has (ventilated seats should be useful here in Florida). Not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger and I figured at this point I should probably just wait for the 2018s to come in and see what's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:15 PM

I've had my Niro Touring for 5 months and 9,000 miles and it's been great. I got it when i did because a lease was ending on my wife's car. If your current vehicle is still doing the job, then there is no need to rush to make a purchase. It is interesting that the 2018 hasn't come out yet and will be interesting to see what changes they make when it does arrive.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Although the Ioniq is more efficient, the rear legroom wasn't as good as the Niro and it was a tad lower, that's what made me decide to get one over the other. I test drove the ray 4 hybrid and although I liked it and the AWD, I didn't anticipate the AWD to be that handy for me so I went with the better MPG, and I really like apple car play which the toyota didn't have at the time.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Niro View Post
I've had my Niro Touring for 5 months and 9,000 miles and it's been great. I got it when i did because a lease was ending on my wife's car. If your current vehicle is still doing the job, then there is no need to rush to make a purchase. It is interesting that the 2018 hasn't come out yet and will be interesting to see what changes they make when it does arrive.
Yeah, that's my current "problem". My RAV4 works just fine despite its high mileage. I think my plan will be to wait until the 2019s Niros are out and buy a new 2018 leftover from the KIA lot for a (more than likely) big discount. I figure this will be around a year from now and will give KIA enough time to solve whatever small issues are found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Although the Ioniq is more efficient, the rear legroom wasn't as good as the Niro and it was a tad lower, that's what made me decide to get one over the other. I test drove the ray 4 hybrid and although I liked it and the AWD, I didn't anticipate the AWD to be that handy for me so I went with the better MPG, and I really like apple car play which the toyota didn't have at the time.
I still haven't tested the RAV4 Hybrid, its MPG is a tad disappointing to be honest. Supposedly the new gen RAV4 will come out next year so I'm curious to see what kind of MPG the Hybrid trim will get (another reason why I'm not pulling the trigger on the Niro just yet).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimpiaKIA View Post
Yeah, that's my current "problem". My RAV4 works just fine despite its high mileage. I think my plan will be to wait until the 2019s Niros are out and buy a new 2018 leftover from the KIA lot for a (more than likely) big discount. I figure this will be around a year from now and will give KIA enough time to solve whatever small issues are found.

I still haven't tested the RAV4 Hybrid, its MPG is a tad disappointing to be honest. Supposedly the new gen RAV4 will come out next year so I'm curious to see what kind of MPG the Hybrid trim will get (another reason why I'm not pulling the trigger on the Niro just yet).
I test drove the Rav4 hybrid as well and was less than impressed. I'm just not impressed with Toyota vehicles. If the Niro didn't exist, I would have bought a CR-V.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimpiaKIA View Post
Maaan, I had absolutely the same "problem". When you have a well-maintained 2006 Toyota, it's tough to let it go. However, it's a good idea to give them some time and see what's gonna happen in the market. Keep scrolling forums and checking video reviews, you'll get there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Run View Post
Maaan, I had absolutely the same "problem". When you have a well-maintained 2006 Toyota, it's tough to let it go. However, it's a good idea to give them some time and see what's gonna happen in the market. Keep scrolling forums and checking video reviews, you'll get there.
My Rav4 is only 2 years old with zero problems and I am very happy with it. It would be hard to justify buying a Niro at this point, as much as I like them. I think I am in good position to wait until any bugs with the Niro are worked out after a couple of years. On the other hand , I may just keep my RAV4 for 11 years like my last Toyota product.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicepeak View Post
My Rav4 is only 2 years old with zero problems and I am very happy with it. It would be hard to justify buying a Niro at this point, as much as I like them. I think I am in good position to wait until any bugs with the Niro are worked out after a couple of years. On the other hand , I may just keep my RAV4 for 11 years like my last Toyota product.
It always happens with Toyota, their vehicles are sooooo reliable. When you buy a Toyota you should realize that it's gonna be tough to get rid of it, cause you gonna love it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicepeak View Post
When your RAV4 is that new then yes it's very hard to justify. Especially with your RAV4 being a 4th gen, they are supposed to be the most reliable ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Run View Post
It always happens with Toyota, their vehicles are sooooo reliable. When you buy a Toyota you should realize that it's gonna be tough to get rid of it, cause you gonna love it.
It really is great. Every morning when I sit in my Toyota to go to work I know for a fact my car will start and take my there, no questions asked. I can't say I feel the same about any other brand.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page