Prius V versus Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yticolev

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Prius V versus Niro

I'm a volunteer driver for our local Senior Citizens center and just did a 25 mile round trip in the Prius V on secondary roads. Thought some may be interested in my quick thoughts as they are roughly the same size and are technically close competitors. This car was bought last year and has about 7,000 miles on it - probably a 2016 - there are no 2017/8s. About 200 pounds heavier than the Niro, and EPA ratings and Fuelly stats of low 40's. However on my trip in 50 degree weather, it got a surprising 55 mpg according to the onboard calculator with two of us inside, more than I've been able to get in my Niro by myself in the same weather (indicated 51). Acceleration was slower, and it handled like a boat, lots of swaying back and forth. On the plus side, visibility was much better and the backup camera had much better resolution (poor camera resolution is a pet peeve of mine on the Niro).

I much prefer the Niro of course!
extech67 likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:45 PM

I was forced to drive one for 2 weeks when I was getting my Fusion Hybrid repaired (hit a leather recliner that fell off a truck at 55 mph).

It felt "cheap" nowhere as refined as the Fusion or even the Niro. Surfaces were hard and plastic. The dash is kind of funny, but I guess you can get used to that. It did feel like a boat when driving.

But the thing just gets high MPG's no matter how you drive it. Easy to get 55 MPG.

A longtime Prius fanboy told me that the Prius was a high MPG vehicle first, and all other creature comforts came second, but the Fusion was a really nice car that got a hybrid drivetrain. Two completely different build philosophies.

The Niro seems to be right in the middle, a fairly nice vehicle with a good hybrid powertrain..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 AM

Garage
The Prius V isn't going to be sold in the US any more.

2017 KIA Niro EX Silky Silver/Grey Interior with Sunroof and Advanced Tech Package
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Garage
I can definitely understand this. I drove the RAV4 hybrid as I was making my decision to get the Niro-- it came down to those two as my finalists. RAV4 hybrid is a really nice vehicle, lots more power and quickness than the Niro and an excellent fit and finish. But it's heavier, several K more expensive, and lacks many standard features the Niro has, and gets 15+ fewer mpg, so it turned out not to be a tough decision. If there were no Niro in the mix, I would have been very happy indeed with the RAV4.

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:51 PM

We looked briefly at the Prius v and it was more expensive and with fewer features and quality materials than the Niro and just didn't like it. Our last car was a Mazda so thought would test drive a Mazda CX-5, and it is much bigger than the Niro but the back seats seemed to have less space, and didn't like the front, plus has terrible fuel efficiency, with only 28 MPG, so not a contender. Then test drove the RAV-4 Hybrid, same ground clearance than the Niro, and even though bigger, we couldn't get past the not so great 32 MPG and thought that's not Hybrid territory. So we ended up going with the Niro, and our average over the last 4 weeks is 58.8 MPG, which is amazing, we couldn't be happier.