Anyone test drove the Niro, Clarity & Ioniq PHEVs? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Garage
If you're cross shopping the Ioniq vs. Clarity vs. Niro then I would put the Volt on that list as well. I used to own a Volt and it is the superior PHEV/EREV of the 4 in terms of range/battery management/transmission/less frequent maintenance. However, it is not the most comfortable. I have test driven and know people that own the Ioniq/Clarity/& Niro and those will be much more comfortable in terms of seat comfort. What made me switch in the end from the Volt to the Niro was the seat comfort, crossover seating position, crossover ground clearance, and roof rails for bikes/camping cargo/etc.

I do miss the range of the Volt, the single reduction gear transmission (very smooth like a CVT no gear changes), and the less frequent maintenance, but I'm much more comfortable in the Niro PHEV and I really enjoy the sunroof, ventilated seats, roof rails, raised seating position, and back seat passenger room that it provides. It's a tough decision with so many options out there. The Outlander PHEV is also an option if you need more room as is the Pacifica PHEV. Best advice is to go try them all and make an informed decision after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 08-22-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The Pacifica PHEV is tough to beat if you need the room. My daughter easily get 1500 miles on a tank of gas. It has just enough EV range (32 EPA) to allow her to commute completely EV unless the engine needs to run for heat. Even once the battery is depleted, she still gets 30 MPG or better. And this is a full size 3 row minivan with all the bells and whistles. But if you don't need that much room, I'm (obviously) a big fan of the Niro PHEV. I just wish I had a bit more EV range.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
AHM

Garage
I tried the Ioniq, and if price and efficiency were my only factors I think that would be what we go with. The dealer didn't have it charged up so I had to try it in HEV mode, but it was a nice car. Compared to the Niro it felt really low (not a problem for us but I prefer the Niro position), and for me the deal breaker is I don't think you can ultimately fit more cargo in the Ioniq than the Niro. As others have said here I didn't love the split window in the back of the Ioniq, I could live with it if I had to but again not ideal.

The volts are no longer eligible for the federal tax credit so that ultimately takes them off our list. We really would prefer a minivan or crossover which is how we ended up at the Niro.

I'm glad someone here mentioned the tiny pass through space on the honda clarity. That's a deal breaker for us as we want to be able to haul a good amount of stuff. The Mitsuibishi Outlander is bigger than we need I think.

I just realized that the Pacifica is eligible for a $7500 tax credit and there are affordable 2018 models available near us so we're going to try that one next. The Niro is much more my style but the Pacifica seems like it could be really practical also.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I just wish I had a bit more EV range.
Ah, listen to the sad lament of every PHEV owner, and most BEV owners!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
I just realized that the Pacifica is eligible for a $7500 tax credit and there are affordable 2018 models available near us so we're going to try that one next. The Niro is much more my style but the Pacifica seems like it could be really practical also.
The Pacifica is a great car and gets great reviews. The minus is that it will certainly cost more for maintenance, and the warranty is not as good.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Ain't it the truth!

Dan

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
yes, only 10% ice mile isn't too bad but I feel unclean every time the ice turns on.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
The volts are no longer eligible for the federal tax credit so that ultimately takes them off our list. We really would prefer a minivan or crossover which is how we ended up at the Niro.

I'm glad someone here mentioned the tiny pass through space on the honda clarity. That's a deal breaker for us as we want to be able to haul a good amount of stuff. The Mitsuibishi Outlander is bigger than we need I think.
The Volt is still eligible for a partial tax credit. Until Sept 30 it's $3750 (half the full amount), then Oct 1 it drops again to $1875. It's completely gone on April 1, 2020.

Make sure you actually look at the passthrough space on the Clarity. What I saw was an online video that showed the host barely able to pass himself through the opening. That was too small for my possible needs, but it might work for you.

While it's still to early for any long term opinion, my daughter has had her Pacifica for about a year with zero maintenance beyond the scheduled stuff. But yticolev is certainly correct that KIA and Hyundai have much better warranties.

I feel the same about the lower seating position in the Ioniq. Not as bad as my daughter's GTI, but still too low for this senior citizen.
TheSilverFlash likes this.

Dan

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
yes, only 10% ice mile isn't too bad but I feel unclean every time the ice turns on.
I cringe when it fires up. I made a 250 mile trip on Monday, and have to go about 150 tomorrow, so this tank is going to suck. After 342 MPG with my last quarter-tank, this one's going to really irk me since I know I probably won't be able to get it back up over 100.

Dan

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
Other than turning on sport mode to get up to 80 getting on the freeway, I am alarmed for a moment every time it comes on. Seems like something has gone wrong for a second, then I realize it is just the engine turning on...which is something going wrong, just a little.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page