Anyone test drove the Niro, Clarity & Ioniq PHEVs? - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:29 PM

Maybe take an empty cooler and a few boxes/suitcases to see which car loads the camping stuff best. I brought a sheet of cardboard the size of a large dog crate to make sure it fit with the back seats up. I'm sure they laughed at me after I left, but it worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
AHM

Garage
Update!

Well we bought a Plug in Niro EX yesterday. It's brand new but so far we loooove it! We test drove the Pacifica and were very impressed by it. It was very nice to drive and everything was really well designed, easy to use, and really comfortable. I felt like it was a living room on wheels. We ultimately felt like we couldn't justify it though because we're a family of 3 and really only need the space a few times a year.

We're going to get a rooftop cargo carrier for the Niro and if it's not enough we'll rent a bigger car for camping. If we needed a bigger car, however, I wouldn't have hesitated to get the pacifica. There are really good deals on the 2018 models right now. If anyone is looking at them they will want to make sure everything is working ok. For example, the A/C on the one we tried had discharged from sitting in the lot. I also heard lots of reports of problems with the battery from sitting around. The pacifica doesn't allow you to choose what mode you drive in, which I also didn't love. Although in our test drive it completely used EV power, and I think it would have for our day to day needs.
Dovidan and TheSilverFlash like this.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:02 PM

Rather than taking a large mpg drop from a rooftop carrier, consider installing a tow hitch. Either a box or very small trailer will be more efficient than anything on the roof. Then you can also delete the roof rails for a further efficiency gain.
atc98092 likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Rather than taking a large mpg drop from a rooftop carrier, consider installing a tow hitch. Either a box or very small trailer will be more efficient than anything on the roof. Then you can also delete the roof rails for a further efficiency gain.
But then you're going against Kia's recommendation of not towing ANYTHING with the U.S. spec Niro. I believe that's exactly why they put roof rails on it in the first place is to give people a safe and approved way of hauling cargo on a "utility vehicle."

I have the Kia brand crossbars and have only experienced a 1-3 mpg drop while they are on. A box would probably eat another 2-3 mpg. A 3-6 mpg drop is barely noticable when you're already pushing 70+ mpg in the PHEV. Don't risk your warranty by installing a hitch and using it to tow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 08-30-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:42 PM

The roof rails are a fashion trend used in a practical way by very few. In Europe, the identically specced Niro (same cooling system and brakes) can tow 750 kg without any towing package. Mind you, the trailer is supposed to have brakes, but a trailer without brakes the size of a rooftop box is not going to cause an issue. When I hear camping, I think long trip and no access to plugging in. Under such conditions, the PHEV will be getting less than 50 mpg. A rooftop box is going to cost at least 5 mpg on top of the hit the roof rails already have. But it is not my money, and lifestyle choices usually win over economy anyway.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page