Per Trip mileage computer - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Per Trip mileage computer

After every drive in the Niro, your trip summary is shown to you on the LCD when the vehicle is turned off... i.e., miles traveled, MPG, distance to empty, as sort of a "here's what happened" recap.

However ... has anyone noticed that a trip under 2 miles (or so) displays incorrectly? i.e. I'll drive 1.7 miles from my home and it will show as "17 miles" ...?

It seems to correctly display over 2 miles but definitely over 10.

A software glitch...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:28 PM

I believe it keeps adding your trips that you've taken on the same day. So if you take a 1.7 mile trip it might be adding it to previous trips on that day.
jpear likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Wow, good point. I have my daily commute which would explain this!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

On second thought, there must be a point where it is adding trips together and where it doesn't, and resets.

For example, I'll drive 12 miles in the morning. When I stop at work, it reports this. 8 hours later, when I drive home, it will report a fresh 11 or 12 miles ... not 20+ as if it added the morning drive in.

If I drive the vehicle later that evening, say an hour or two after I get home, I'll see something like 16 or 17 miles and that WOULD seem to be adding in my previous most recent drive. Hmm.

You would think this little "drive summary" would simply reset every time the vehicle is parked and turned off.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:08 AM

But then if it doesn't do it every time it's turned off, but does it at a certain interval... now we would need to know what that interval is?
lrpavlo likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:41 PM

I wonder about the reset interval too!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Definitely there's an interval it resets after, maybe 6 or 8 hours?

I drove home after work and it did not add in my morning commute, it zeroed it out, so I had only 10 miles displayed when I parked and powered off at home. About 2 hours later, we went out for dinner. This five mile trip was reported as 15! And driving home, same distance, the computer stated 20 total miles when I put the Niro away for the night. Definitely adding together...

It's strange, minor, but probably should not be working that way!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM

My Opinin --- Much oif the stuff on nthese Modern Cars is useless computations. I guess OK as loing as it does not break and cause warranty service or cost.

Could do away with a lot of the complciated stuff - like the safety stuff.
jpear likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 PM

I was sitting in the driveway with the engine running I didn?t travel anywhere and when I turn the engine off it reported a distance traveled of 17 miles, my trip before that was about 40 miles, so in this case it definitely wasn?t adding. And total for the day would of been about 80 miles. Where did the 17 come from?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 AM

According to my owners manual, the interval is 4 hours.
It's not a "running" 4 hours ... so if you have a 6 hour trip, all 6 hours are factored in.
It's the time period in between trips. As you start a new trip, if the end of the previous trip(s) was less than 4 hours ago, the this new trip is added to the previous one(s).
I agree ... I'd rather it reset everytime I start the car.