First fill-up - Kia Niro Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Cool First fill-up

Just purchased first fill-up in my Niro EX.
516 miles, put in 9.61 gallons = 53.69 miles/gallon.
Driving around town (Las Vegas, NV)
Readout said I had 52 miles left to empty.
Very satisfied.
My 2012 Prius type 2 was averaging 48 to 50 mpg.
Jay, KeriD, Chris&Bonnie and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Jay

Thanks for the report and comparison. Your FE should improve as the weather warms up and the engine breaks in. 53.7 is a great start!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:04 PM

Add MPG Info. Also EX Model.

Second Fill Up at 1006 miles.

Fill up was for 472 miles and took 8.88 gallon (topped off the tank with a couple extra squirts) = 53.1 MPG

NOTE: Driving mostly below 45 or 50 MPH on county roads and some in town with a few stop lights and some traffic (Sevierville / Pigeon Forge / Seymour area of TN) . About ideal conditions for a Hybrid vs high speed highway travel.

Also, driving as easy as practical for safety (no jack rabbit starts and try to allow it to be on EV as much as possible).
Jay and lrpavlo like this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 PM

Has anyone else noticed if the MPG drop when you use cruise control? Not sure if it was a fluke or not since this was the first long distance trip with my Niro Touring. In town, and when cruise control was not engaged, I was getting 46+ MPG, but with Criuse on, it was only 39 MPG which really surprised me. I would have thought with the system driving the car, it would have preformed better than when I drove. When I drive back next Tuesday, I am going to try "testing" it again.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Presumably you are driving faster when CC is engaged? Highway mpg is less than around town as well. What tire size do you have?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 PM

I think CC even on normal cars does worse under certain conditions if driver pays attention using his control.

Like in area of up down hills --- When using yourself, can ease off a bit up hill and drop speed where cruise control will even go to passing gear to maintain speed. Then when going down hill you can ease off and let it coast or add speed easily where speed control will ease off and use engine brraking.

Probably, most of us don't pay attention to throttle control and CC is convenient and prevents tickets.
Scrutch76 likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 PM

There are certainly strategies that work in favor of hybrids that nav programs can assist drivers with, especially with PHEVs. Get a better charge in your battery before a hill. Use the electric motor more heavily up the hill and regenerative braking on the downside.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:11 PM

touring, the trip back MPG was 43, a little better, but not as good as around town. I was surprised, thought it would be higher than around town. Guess I will look at the glass half full, and be glad it gets such great milage around town.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 PM

Considering that it is still cold (depending on your location), and you have the lower mpg spec, your mpg seems to be in the right ballpark.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanFun View Post
touring, the trip back MPG was 43, a little better, but not as good as around town. I was surprised, thought it would be higher than around town. Guess I will look at the glass half full, and be glad it gets such great milage around town.
I think it is typical that HYBRIDs do better in town than on hwy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page