MPG Report for 1477 miles - Kia Niro Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

MPG Report for 1477 miles

Filled up at 1006 miles as a starting point for the 1477 mile trip (For INFO - I had 53.1 MPG on that fill up).

Then started a trip to a G-Daughter's wedding (spent a few days in area of the wedding) and returned home.

At 1462 miles filled up (456 miles) with 8.82 gallon @ $1.999 = 51.7 MPG (mostly local roads under 50 mph and some downtown driving - not a lot of traffic or stop lights).

At 1875 miles filled up (413 miles) with 8.17 gallon at $2.079 = 50.6 MPG
(a trip that was nearly all HWY and Interstate at from 60 to 70 MPH except for get off for breaks of a few miles and going thru a couple congested areas in towns -- that would be a drop in elevation of say 2000 feet.

At 2055 miles filled up (180 miles) with 4.27 gallon at $2.099 = 42.2 MPG
(a few days in area of Leland and Wilmington, North Carolina running errands and sight seeing in what would call mixture of city and Hwy driving). DISAPPOINTED in that MPG figure considering the kind of driving we were doing. ONE EXPLANATION might be that I did not get the tank filled to the top at the 1875 mile point (I did give it an extra couple squirts when pump cutoff) which would make that figure for MPG High and this one at 2055 miles Low ( I did top off extensively this time). I DO NOT KNOW, just guessing as I thought the MPG for the HWY trip of 413 miles was high (it was overall a downhill trip from say 2000 feet in TN to sea level in Leland).

At 2483 miles filled up (427 miles) with 8.15 gallon at $1.929 = 49.4 MPG
(a trip back home that also was nearly all HWY and Interstate at from 60 to 70 MPH except for get off for breaks of a few miles and going thru a couple congested areas in towns -- that would be more uphill elevation gain of say 2000 feet.
Scrutch76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Maybe clarify a little as Administrator would not allow Editing after 10 minutes.

At 1006 miles filled up (412 miles) with 8.88 gallon at $x.xx (forget) = 53.1 MPG which started the total of 1477 miles. (mostly that 412 miles was local county and some in town with a limited number of stop lights - not a big city).

Then filled up at 1462 miles to start a trip to G-Daughter's wedding in Wilmington, NC.

At 1462 miles filled up (456 miles) with 8.82 gallon @ $1.999 = 51.7 MPG (mostly local roads under 50 mph and some downtown driving - not a lot of traffic or stop lights).

Rest is same as original post.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:49 PM

But which model do you have? Unless you have an FE, it looks like you're getting advertised mileage or better with that sole exception..
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprenesti View Post
But which model do you have? Unless you have an FE, it looks like you're getting advertised mileage or better with that sole exception..
Sorry -- should have included model (had reported before and just assumed all knew - DUMB on my part).

It's an EX with the Tech Package with sun roof (not full advanced tech package). Bought it early FEB.

That low 42.2 MPG when In Leland - Wilmington area for 180 miles was not good compared to what i got similar driving around here (52 MPG). Other than that I am satisfied with performance and handling.

Comfort of seats is a bit of an issue after a couple hours which is about all we drive without a stretch the legs stop. We are 78 years old and in good shape for our age.

Might bother some worse and others less.
Scrutch76 likes this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Gas pump shut off pressures vary dramatically. Unless you visually fill to the brim (which can be a pain in many cars), your fill ups will have little meaning. Depending on the pump, my current car can take as much as 2 gallons after the auto stop. Your total mile average is the most accurate. Besides fill up amounts leaving some unknown space in the tank, wind, elevation, and temperature can make 10% or better variations tank to tank - I've seen 20% between tanks with brim to brim filling.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Gas pump shut off pressures vary dramatically. Unless you visually fill to the brim (which can be a pain in many cars), your fill ups will have little meaning. Depending on the pump, my current car can take as much as 2 gallons after the auto stop. Your total mile average is the most accurate. Besides fill up amounts leaving some unknown space in the tank, wind, elevation, and temperature can make 10% or better variations tank to tank - I've seen 20% between tanks with brim to brim filling.
yticolev- it's true the auto pump stop at the gas station can vary widely. That's why the most accurate way is to do 4 or 5 fill ups, average the total. Maybe use the first pump you started with for your last fill up.
This is also good way to compare the accuracy of your car's MPG gauge, which from all I've read is pretty accurate.
I don't think filling to the rim is a good idea at all. Like you said, it's a PIA. Also you risk spilling fuel on car, and it's not good for the tank pressure or tank air filter. It can actually trip a fuel cap warning.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:57 PM

I never spill a drop! It would kill me if I did. Nor have I ever had an issue, but I have heard that it is not recommended several times. I'm not convinced. Most hypermilers do it.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I usually put nozzle down in spout. Then when it cuts off, I pull it out a bit and fill some more. Do that two, three, or whatever times.

Slops of vehicle also affects fill I imagine.

Then when talking 400 miles and say 8 gallon = 50 MPG.

Could have error in fill from various things (temperature at fill, tilt on car, point you stop filling, etc.). How Much Error, I do not know -- say 5% or 10% (seems a lot to me).

Example of 5% (0.4 Gal) --
400 / 7.6 = 52.6 MPG
400 / 8.4 = 47.6 MPG

Example of 10% (0.8 Gal) --
400 / 7.2 = 55.6 MPG
400 / 8.8 = 45.5 MPG

So, yes I agree average over a 1000 miles or more makes more sense. Likely not have more than a 1/2 gallon off on the 20 or so gallons (still make a 2.5 % error).
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 AM

Slope of vehicle I suspect? Yes, it does. I always point the nose of the car downslope, at an angle to the pump if I have to. If pointed up, or sometimes even if relatively level, you end up with an air pocket displacing volume for a complete fill up.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to KeriD
Wow these are great! I just picked mine up Friday, and as I get used to driving it the gas mileage is getting better. On an hour and half trip home from the parents I averaged about 49 mpg.
Scrutch76 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page