Happiness is a Full Battery - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Neo

Happiness is a Full Battery

From the Morning drive down the Foothills.

Neo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2951 R.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	1169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2952 R.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	1177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953 R.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	1185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Jay

I saw the same when I coasted down Ski Hill Road in Wy for 6 miles in my sister's Sonata hybrid. Hybrids are good in this environment because not only do you get free power but you save your brakes from overheating.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Since the transition from regenerative braking to actually using the brakes is so good on this car, how does one know where that point is? Does the charging gauge give any indication? I too want to get as much FREE power as possible going down long hills, but without using the brakes on the car. Any insight would be appreciated.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Personally I notice very little (what I called Engine Braking) on the Hybrid when leting off accelerator flat ground or down hill. It coasts freely in my opinion.

Have gone to sport mode for some downhill braking if you can catch it early enough to stay in lower gear as it will not shift back to lower gear if speed is all ready excessive. You can of course brake to slow down and then shift down.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Neo

BlueEX and PaulRides,

Let me see if I can address and comment on both of your comments in one reply

The Niro definitely goes into a regen/charging mode as soon as you let off the gas. You can see this by the needle dipping into the Charge area. I can feel this because for 10 to 15 minutes I am going downhill and the charging keeps me at about 40-45 mph. This the same thing I can do with my manual transmission Jetta in 4th gear and using the engine instead of charging a battery. During this descent, the engine is off and the car is in the EV mode, yep for a full 15 minutes if not more. You betcha.

When braking, I noticed that the needle hits the little transition point to the thicker line in charging. I am guessing that system increases the power generation of the motor when you press the brakes. I appears to me that pressing the brakes also applies the brakes. It's a pedal attached to a hydraulic master cylinder, so the hydraulics move the brake calipers as soon as you hit the brakes. And, that is a good thing from a safety perspective. But, you definitely need less braking from the calipers thanks to the motor attached, so I see the key as using as little braking as necessary going downhill to save your brakes, but not avoiding using them, because the charging really picks up when you apply the brakes.

Just my observations. Your mileage may vary.

Neo
extech67 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 PM

I just got my Niro a few days ago. Tomorrow I'll be taking a 3 hour trip to a nearby town, but there is a major mountain pass to deal with.
I'll certainly be working the ICE going up but on the downhill side I expect that I'll see the 100% charge also.
I have to think that it will be almost totally EV for those 30 kms! After that just normal rise and fall in terrain.

I'll post back if there is anything interesting to report.

I do remember reading the 'Guiness Record' report but they didn't seem to advise anything of significance on traveling over mountain passes.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Neo

Bill,

Yep, I believe you too will feel the joy of a full battery

Neo
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:28 PM

Full Battery ---

What I found one time when battery got to 75% from doing a long gradual downhill was not big deal, because very soon after reaching level ground and using the accelerator (gas pedal) the battery soon went back to the 50% range (50% is the design goal according to a reply from NIRO Customer Service and you may see 40% to 75%).

I guess on a long downhill, see 100% as the post above indicated.

I betcha you are going to see 50 to 52 MPG pretty much no matter what you do (assuming you are not a real lead foot). I say that because that is what I have gotten over a 4000 mile plus use (an EX Model purchased in FEB 2017).
extech67 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:26 PM

I'm getting 57 mpg so far so good!
extech67 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
I'm getting 57 mpg so far so good!
Car Computer or Actual Miles divided by Gallon on fill up. Car computer can read off (a lot sometime) and probably 1 to 2 MPG at end of 450 or 500 miles.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page