Fuel Mileage Report of 4,000 mile trip - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By Ottyo
  • 1 Post By yticolev
  • 1 Post By Griswald

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Mileage Report of 4,000 mile trip

My wife and I just completed a nearly 4,000 mile trip from Maryland to the Rocky Mountains and back. I recorded mileage at each fuel stop and thought I would report the results and my observations.

First our Niro EX performed flawlessly. It was comfortable and had a surprising amount of room and cargo space. Part of our trip was to go scuba diving in an underground mine in Missouri, so we had two sets of scuba gear with the exception of tanks. Even with luggage, hiking and scuba gear (which is bulky) we still had plenty of room. Because of all the extra gear we were carrying additional weight the entire trip.

We travelled through Rocky Mountain National Park ascending to nearly 12,000 ft and the Niro had no difficulties handling the mountains. Using sport mode in 2nd gear when descending the mountain roads was a big plus. We spent a few days traveling through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri at 75 MPH with the temperature at 100 degrees F. The Niro did not seem at all bothered by the heat and the air conditioner kept us very comfortable.

Our total Fuel Consumption for 3,987.7 miles was 85.65 gallons. Our average speed for the whole trip was 47 mph (we were in Boulder and the Rocky's for over a week where you don't drive very fast). Our total driving time was 76 hours and 39 minutes. Our gas mileage over the entire trip was 46.56 mpg. Surprisingly our highest mileage on a tank of gas was the day we drove through Rocky Mountain National Park. The mileage was 57.6 mpg. I guess all of the brake regeneration really paid off.

The other thing we observed was that mileage was less when we used the adaptive cruise control. The cruise control works really well and provides an added safety factor when traveling on the highways so I feel the reduced economy is well worth it.

Here is a summary:

Total miles driven 3,987.7 miles
Total fuel consumed: 85.65 gals
Average speed through entire trip: 47 mph
Number of hours driven: 76 hrs. 39 minutes
Gas mileage for entire trip: 46.56 Mpg
Highest Gas Mileage for fill-up segment 57.6 mpg. (Rocky Mtn National Park)
Second highest gas mileage for fill up segment: 53 mpg.(Also around mountains)
Lowest gas mileage: 41.1 mpg

Overall I was very pleased with the Niro's performance and economy. We had no problems with the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 AM

great job ..very good info
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 04:51 PM

Good Report. Maybe add yours to Fuelly.com.

Higher Elevation --- My opinion is less dense air (less resistance) and I think Fuel Injection adjusts fuel mix.

Experience is Limited, however, we lived in WA State a year and half and made a couple trips into WY and MT (high elevation overall). Got the best gas mileage I had ever experienced with a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville (improved a couple miles per gallon). Like less say from 28 MPG to 30 MPG or so. (near 10% maybe).
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:20 PM

I think 46 mpg for a well loaded car into the mountains is excellent. The energy cost of pushing all that weight uphill is more than you can recover downhill (battery is not big enough).

You may have been able to do a bit better by using your brake pedal to activate a higher level of battery regeneration than your second gear technique. I assume there is a graphic that can tell you if you are using the mechanical brakes, but otherwise you can get an idea of how effective this technique is by monitoring the battery charge level. Usually, it is almost impossible to charge the battery fully but I read one anecdote of an Ioniq doing that consistently on mountain passes using the brake pedal with amazing overall mileage.

It would be easier if they used paddles like the EV to increase battery regeneration on demand without using the brake pedal - one pedal driving and better mileage! I think they were trying to keep things simple and less weird hybrid features.
extech67 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 PM

I haven't gone on a long road trip like your adventure yet, but I'd love to!

I have been logging my gas receipts for my Niro LX and compiling them into a spreadsheet, as I did for my previous vehicle. I have a mix of city and highway travel; I drive for work, school, and pleasure. My dashboard currently rates me as driving 94% Economical, 6% Normal, and 0% Aggressive. That has allowed me to travel 4,072 miles so far with an average fuel economy of 59.8mpg. I can't tell you how much of a difference that makes on my wallet! I used to have a 2017 Forte LX that averaged 36.2mpg. If I calculate the yearly cost difference for myself using my annual mileage of 24,500 and an average fuel price of $2.50/gallon, I save ~$670 with my Niro. That makes an enormous difference for a full time student like myself.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolfe View Post
I haven't gone on a long road trip like your adventure yet, but I'd love to!

I have been logging my gas receipts for my Niro LX and compiling them into a spreadsheet, as I did for my previous vehicle. I have a mix of city and highway travel; I drive for work, school, and pleasure. My dashboard currently rates me as driving 94% Economical, 6% Normal, and 0% Aggressive. That has allowed me to travel 4,072 miles so far with an average fuel economy of 59.8mpg. I can't tell you how much of a difference that makes on my wallet! I used to have a 2017 Forte LX that averaged 36.2mpg. If I calculate the yearly cost difference for myself using my annual mileage of 24,500 and an average fuel price of $2.50/gallon, I save ~$670 with my Niro. That makes an enormous difference for a full time student like myself.
That is freakin amazing, 59.8!

The 0% aggressive is disappointing, though...come on, mash that go pedal!
extech67 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 PM

A great review of your trip.
I have just over 3,000 km and have averaged 48 mpg US.
I use Fuelly which enables me to see other owners real world economy.

Ocean Blue (Kia Niro) | Fuelly

Living in BC Canada we have lots of hills. I tested mine last week coming 3,000 ft down a Mt and actually fully charged up the battery.

https://flic.kr/p/XqLdUP
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Impressive fuel mileage which today you might still only expect in some sub-compact sedan and not a CUV like this. It just goes to show the potential of these without going for anything crazy green but instead an almost "normal" car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page