Only Averaging about 38 miles with LX model! - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Only Averaging about 38 miles with LX model!

Is anyone else experiencing low MPG with the LX model. So far I have about 2000 miles and the mileage has reduced from around 44 to 38. Not sure if the hot Florida sun and bad traffic is to blame.

Can anyone else provide some info.

Also, the car has the minor shutter when I run it cold. For the first few stops I can feel it but not at high speeds like some others.

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 10:32 PM

Low MPG sounds a bit like the guy that posted his stutter, jerky operation and finally got a new car.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 AM

It depends on your driving style, but in traffic you should get very good MPG since it's a hybrid.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:29 AM

Could be dependent on how you drive, AC and traffic. Some forum members got some nice numbers in the 40s.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM

It's likely due to your driving style. I had to relearn how to drive in traffic. You have to let completely off the gas and coast as much as possible to maximize the MPG. If you are used to speeding up and hitting the breaks and repeating, that's likely the reason why.

How long is your normal drive? The shorter, the lesser the MPG's you get as well.
KK6PD likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

We do more small trips then anything else and we try to coast as much as possible. When we try to coast we try to hit the gas slightly to keep it in EV mode as much as possible. It feels like the car does not go into EV mode as much as it should.

The jerky feeling only happens when the car sits for a long time and its jerky when coming to a stop and then accelerating.

The car says we are only 1 percent aggressive so we are not driving the car hard. We use to be in the mid 40's at first but now it sucks down to 37.4. I know its how in Florida but from all the research I have done, almost everyone gets about 45 miles to even 60.

Don't know if its something I should bring to the dealers attention.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monofrio View Post
We do more small trips then anything else and we try to coast as much as possible. When we try to coast we try to hit the gas slightly to keep it in EV mode as much as possible. It feels like the car does not go into EV mode as much as it should.

The jerky feeling only happens when the car sits for a long time and its jerky when coming to a stop and then accelerating.

The car says we are only 1 percent aggressive so we are not driving the car hard. We use to be in the mid 40's at first but now it sucks down to 37.4. I know its how in Florida but from all the research I have done, almost everyone gets about 45 miles to even 60.

Don't know if its something I should bring to the dealers attention.
How far are these "small trips"? If it's 5 miles or less, it can be very difficult to get a higher MPG. Also, if you are going up and down hills that can negatively affect things as well.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Trips around town are probably 10-20 miles with frequent stops at lights. No hills in south florida just ramps for highways but these are minimal.

I was under the impression that the hybrid was better at handling short trips.

Its just very hard to maintain it at 38MPG.

We drove from west palm to Miami when we first got the car and we got somewhere around 49MPG for about a 120 miles trip.

Just dont know if we should take to dealer to see if there is anything going on or is the 38mpg normal for our area. Wish I could talk to some other niro owners in the area.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Niro View Post
How far are these "small trips"? If it's 5 miles or less, it can be very difficult to get a higher MPG. Also, if you are going up and down hills that can negatively affect things as well.
That's a good point. It is hard to get good mileage with ANY car with mostly short trips.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 PM

Personally, I think something is wrong. Should be closer to 50 MPG (like when you first had it).

I don't think any driving habit short of being crazy accelerating and foot on the gas to the floor would give 38 MPG. Not even air conditioning every time you drive would do that.

Heck, we need air all the time in TN in summer also. I am in the 50 + MPG for 6000 plus miles. Even 400 mile Hwy Trips been 50 MPG. Had one screwy reading when we were in Wilmington area April 1 for a wedding -- got into 40 something. Never did figure that one out.

I post mine on FUELLY every fill up. Take a look and see what others get.

Let KIA Customer Support know as well as the dealer you are unhappy (neither wants these cars know to be getting 38 MPG).
extech67 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page