What's my real mpg? - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

What's my real mpg?

So when I am driving, the little meter is moving up and down in real time and it usually hovers around 50 mpg depending. But when I stop and turn the car off it says trip mpg and it's different. Like on my way home today the meter was averaging 53 mpg but when I turned it off it said trip 6 miles.. 64.5 mpg. Which is my actual miles per gallon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:55 AM

EV is the answer. Sometimes the car is moving and no gasoline is being used. That all figures into the total trip MPG. The dash gauge is showing a rough estimate while underway.
I added an Ultragauge to my Niro. It gives a continuous update of trip MPG and its much closer than the stock gauge.
extech67 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:14 PM

The most accurate way to find out is to fill your tank up. Drive it. Fill it backup. Take the total miles driven, trip mileage, and divide by the number of gallons it took to refill it up.
extech67 likes this.

2017 Niro EX w/Tech Pkg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixonNiro View Post
The most accurate way to find out is to fill your tank up. Drive it. Fill it backup. Take the total miles driven, trip mileage, and divide by the number of gallons it took to refill it up.
Amazes me how folks get caught up in the Car Computed MPG numbers.

Nixon Niro has it right ---- fill it up and divide gallons into miles since last fill up is MPG.

Better yet average that over a 1000 or 5000 miles or more.
extech67 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Filling up and computing is no more accurate than any other method. You cannot ever know if you put exactly the same amount in the tank, nor can you rely on the gas pump to give you accurate gallon counts, nor can you ever know if the odometer in your car is accurate.

Its all a guess, but averaged out over many thousand miles is really the best way to get a normal average.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 AM

I've been learning a lot in the last 2 months of owning my Niro. That display that you're talking about, yes, that's MPG per trip, and it can vary wildly. Example, when I leave the gym, if I follow a certain route, I get two good down hills on the way home that allows me to coast quite a bit which 1) enables EV mode immediately, AND 2) charges the hybrid battery. During this time neither the hybrid battery nor the gas engine are in use, total free ride after I level off I have a few blocks of very flat driving at which time I baby the gas pedal, taking foot off entirely as much as possible to back to charge mode, etc, by the time I hit my parking lot, i usually see 55-65mpg. However , the MPG display on the car "head unit" /stereo/backup camera display ,,,,,, that is usually different......... I think that's an average of total miles driven since last fill up (if enabled to reset at fillup, which mine is). I must say that I have started using NON ETHANOL 91 octane gas and have seen a HUGE improvement in mpg. My Niro EX is rated for 46mpg highway, yesterday after a 90 mile/55mph trip back home, my MPG hit 57.7. With 87 octane 10% ethanol blend, my MPG tanked way down to 41-43mpg.
extech67 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

@PAULRIDES no one is caught up in "computed mpg". So no need to be that amazed. The question was what is the difference between the two. It's not a plus or minus 1 or 2 mpg... it varies by more than 15 mpg. So it's either reading two different things (per trip vs real time) or there's a huge problem with the computer, so yea.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

@eddarrah thanks for the info!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 AM

Also remember that there is NEVER a totally free ride. The only way to charge the hybrid battery is by burning gasoline (unless you can lift your vehicle up to the top of hills with a helicopter and only coast downhills). The gasoline you burn to go up is supplemented by the "free" coasting down, that's why the MPG is averaged.

After 4 years of hybrid ownership, I have learned how to accelerate on downhils to help the vehicle get through the uphills using minimal gasoline, and I have learned on my commute where giving more gasoline doesn't really hurt overall MPG's. Driving with an Ultragauge with its instant feedback is by far the best way to learn these techniques.

Several other techniques that I have heard of with my Fusion Hybrid are "pulse and glide" and feathering at highway speeds to hit the point where no gasoline is being used to charge and only used to move the vehicle. Pulse and glide involves gently speeding up to 5 or so over the speed limit and coasting until 5 or so less than the speed limit. That works well as long as there isnt traffic to deal with Feathering involves finding the point where just enough gasoline is needed to keep moving but not so much that the battery keeps charging. This works best on longer trips at highway speeds, with the Fusion it took about 15 miles of constant speed and battery charging before it could be done. The Niro seems to be closer to 7 or 8 miles at speed.

Learning what works takes time and effort.
eddarrah likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Also remember that there is NEVER a totally free ride. The only way to charge the hybrid battery is by burning gasoline (unless you can lift your vehicle up to the top of hills with a helicopter and only coast downhills). The gasoline you burn to go up is supplemented by the "free" coasting down, that's why the MPG is averaged.

After 4 years of hybrid ownership, I have learned how to accelerate on downhils to help the vehicle get through the uphills using minimal gasoline, and I have learned on my commute where giving more gasoline doesn't really hurt overall MPG's. Driving with an Ultragauge with its instant feedback is by far the best way to learn these techniques.

Several other techniques that I have heard of with my Fusion Hybrid are "pulse and glide" and feathering at highway speeds to hit the point where no gasoline is being used to charge and only used to move the vehicle. Pulse and glide involves gently speeding up to 5 or so over the speed limit and coasting until 5 or so less than the speed limit. That works well as long as there isnt traffic to deal with Feathering involves finding the point where just enough gasoline is needed to keep moving but not so much that the battery keeps charging. This works best on longer trips at highway speeds, with the Fusion it took about 15 miles of constant speed and battery charging before it could be done. The Niro seems to be closer to 7 or 8 miles at speed.

Learning what works takes time and effort.
I never thought of that, accelerating downhill to use less gas uphill, but that isn't likely to happen in my area, downhill followed by up hill, not in the same trip, but good point. I said "free ride" earlier because my interpretation was/is that if you're coasting and it's showing it's in charge mode, NOT from the ICE, but just charging, no gas is being used, nor is any hybrid battery power being used (electric motor). If you have been through 4 years of hybrid ownership, was that Ford Fusion only or was there a Prius in there somewhere? Just curious because I was **** bent on getting a Prius but I started looking around, researching etc. Must note here that I was ALWAYS a manual transmission owner in the past and didn't like the idea of automatic in any form. The only time I had driven automatics was when renting a car during vacation. I endure the harsh winters of Northern NY (right on the Canadian border) and standards/manuals, to me, perform much better in most any snow storm. I have never driven a CVT, to my knowledge, (unless one of my vacation rentals was one), but from what I read about them they didn't sound like something that a manual transmission guy like me would take kindly to. I found the Niro by accident when surfing YouTube videos on hybrids, and that introduced me to DCT, which I thoroughly researched DCT vs CVT and was sold on the DCT "in theory". I am VERY pleased with it!!! However, although I have only owned the Niro since mid July in summer driving, and yes, tested out sport/manual mode, the true test will be in winter driving in a 6-8 inch snowfall, ok, 3 in. on the road after plowing, but I'm sure you get my point, wet, slushy, slippery conditions. I do plan to put 4 snow tires on the Niro (no studs) and will sacrifice the reported 1% drop in fuel economy for the added safety of snow tires. I assume that you now own a Niro from the sound of your post? How do you like it compared to the Fusion?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page