Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Niro PHEV Miles per tank

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NorCalNiro 
#1 ·
This will be a little cumbersome, and difficult for most to provide details. And on a disclaimer, all results will vary.

I will update after i go through my first tank.

Lets see if we can do this....

Respond with the following:

Total Miles(since last fill up)
Daily Commute Distance
Charge at work (Y/N)
Charge throughout the day (Y/N) N would also mean only charge at night and you dont top-off battery during the day
Average Air Temp This plays a big factor on engine gas consumption in colder states
Prefer windows down or up This plays factor on wind resistance and A/C usage with reduced EV range.

This is just for fun, nothing scientific behind it, but should gain some traction throughout the PHEV community.

See less See more
#3 ·
A huge factor left out is wind direction and magnitude. A well know cool app is Dark Sky and one feature is hour by hour wind direction and speed in an easy to read way. I look at this a lot on trips, and even use it to adjust my speed - a little faster with a tailwind, a little slower with a headwind.

Some folks that commute may generally have a favorable wind in both directions, and others unfavorable. This can really make results not make sense without this data.

Personally I believe applying these factors to PHEVs is almost irrelevant, considering that mpg can swing by over 50 mpg if you are not considering total energy use. But they do affect actual efficiency which BEV and EV owners can use.

#6 ·
A huge factor left out is wind direction and magnitude. .... Personally I believe applying these factors to PHEVs is almost irrelevant, considering that mpg can swing by over 50 mpg if you are not considering total energy use. But they do affect actual efficiency which BEV and EV owners can use.

YESS very good variable which could totally affect the outcome.

My first commute to work today was 110mi round trip, elevation change, highway 70mph, i only got around 20-21miles EV range, and was at 69MPG off the trip when i got back home. No L2 Charging at work (only for GOVT vehicle), im going to search out for a 110v plug over the next few weeks and see if i can trickle charge.

#4 ·
Total miles: 1765 (with 68 gas miles left)
Average commute: Was 28 miles
Charge at work: No
Charge throughout the day: Yes, via 240 line in my garage
Ave. Air Temp: varied greatly as this tank went from mid-March to mid-May (Northeast)
Windows: Down

The only reason I got gas with so many miles left was that I had to embark on a 300 mile trip with no charging opportunities.

Attachments

#5 ·
I bought my Niro PHEV on 3/8/2018. I currently have about 2,900 miles on it now and have only made one visit to the gas station on 4/18/18, and my gasoline range is currently at 180 miles.

My daily commute is 16 mile round-trip, although I frequently run errands during my lunch break. I only charge at home with my 240v charging station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.