Bad MPG - 36 average? - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Bad MPG - 36 average?

I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 PM

At 75 mph, you are doing just about right.
Try driving normally, but dont go 75.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 PM

white17lx

As the manual states; the actual mileage will depend on the driving style.

Over more than 9000 miles my 2017 Niro LX averaged 49 MPG in combined driving under all weather and road conditions from sea level to above 11000 feet.

The lowest observed mileage was 31 MPG: I-80 in Nebraska with very strong wind, temperature around freezing and cruise control set to 75 MPH! At this conditions the hybrid system is not effective, the battery indicator was at 1-2 bars most of the time and the vehicle behaved like regular car (31 MPG is not bad)!

The best mileage I get is on county roads with rolling hills and the speed limit around 50 MPH.
I make weekly trips, 15 miles each way on such a road with two climbs of 450 feet. In the morning the temperature is 45-50F and usually with dense fog, the vehicle self report 48-53 MPG.
On the return trip the fog clears and the temperature will rise to around 70-80F and the vehicle reports 64-90 MPG for the 15 miles trip.

With light foot on the gas pedal averaging 50 MPG is achievable in most situations and conditions. In my experience limiting the use of cruise control will lead to better mileage.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:21 PM

I've been getting 57/58 in hot summer fills. I'm 10/12% normal driving with the rest eco, but I'm not slowing anyone down. Passing cars on two lane roads. I'm also not exceeding 65, which happens to be the max speed limit on local interstates. I do accelerate slow when there is no one behind me.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Garage
by chance have you beenrunning in sport mode?????

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niromaniac View Post
I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.
Cars that have very high mpg also seem to be more sensitive to 'stresses' on that mpg. Components could include...

1. Impression. When someone getting 20 mpg loses 10%, it is 18 mpg and they aren't likely to notice. Losing 10% of 50 is 5 mpg down to 45.

2. Model. The higher end the model, the worse the mileage. Extra weight, extra electrical loads, and worst of all the 18 inch wheels/low profile tires. The wheels alone can be 10 to 15%.

3. Crappy gas. There is substantial variation in gasoline regardless of what the owner's manual says. New cars will all burn regular and not 'knock' per se, but nobody says they'll get the same mileage vs using premium. Ethanol impacts it too. Here we get the worst of both worlds on the cheap end of the gas. 87 octane that has 10% ethanol. What that amounts to is nasty 84 octane gas mixed with ethanol to bring it up to 87.

4. You are getting good mileage at highway speeds. At 75 mph you are outperforming your slow speed driving. That's the opposite of what should happen. But it means your engine is running fine.

5. Lead foot/sport mode. Sport mode already mentioned. You mentioned 70% eco and 30 regular. That seems hard to believe unless you are really using the foot in that 30 (or as mentioned sport mode which amps things up considerably).

6. Hard braking. If you are one of those that likes to brake hard, you are going to miss out on most of the regenerative braking and nullify the benefit of being a hybrid. It can have an enormous impact. You'll end up using mostly mechanical braking vs regen. I must say it's hard to tell just by foot feel on mine when one vs the other is in use. Let off the gas earlier, brake more gently. It'll make a big difference.

7. Dragging around extra crap in your car? Junk in the trunk? Adds weight...kills mpg.

8. Non-stock rims/tires? Perhaps you put 'summer tread' on? It will drag your mileage down. Softer/grippy tread. Less efficient than the eco Michelins mine came with.

9. Lastly give it a bit. Mine is getting close to 5000 miles and seems to be getting more efficient. Engine breaking in I presume.

10. oh this is really the last one. Have you changed the oil? The recommended 0-20 full synthetic is there to improve mileage. Using a cheaper oil can cut off some mileage.
Niromaniac and Gary like this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 AM

I should also mention that I use standard cruise control at every opportunity, even a half mile stretch at 35 mph before reverting to manual control or merging into a freeway still using cruise control (may have to override with foot if traffic behind). Steady speed saves gas in any car. If you are driving in heavy traffic with radar cruise control, your mpg will drop as your speed will be constantly varying. Better off under manual control, leaving space so you only make small adjustments to speed rather mimicking the car directly ahead.
Niromaniac likes this.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6PD View Post
by chance have you beenrunning in sport mode?????
No, eco mode all the way. I've only used Sport mode once while test driving the car at the dealer.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
Cars that have very high mpg also seem to be more sensitive to 'stresses' on that mpg. Components could include...

1. Impression. When someone getting 20 mpg loses 10%, it is 18 mpg and they aren't likely to notice. Losing 10% of 50 is 5 mpg down to 45.

2. Model. The higher end the model, the worse the mileage. Extra weight, extra electrical loads, and worst of all the 18 inch wheels/low profile tires. The wheels alone can be 10 to 15%.

I have the EX model with the 16" rims, The only time I have a "lead foot" (I'll keep the needle at the point where the green/gray line meet) would be when entering the freeway but for the only reason is to be at freeway speeds by the time merge lane ends (as the law states, merging cars must merge at the same speed as other cars on the freeway. Though people don't follow this law, nor does it seem a common infraction).

I have been using 87 gas but from Shell, Chevron and 76. I haven't filled up at any of the cheap or non-chain gas stations (that bid for the cheapest/dirtiest gas). I'll try Premium on the next couple of fillups to test if mileage is better.

I'm not a hard breaker, the cruise control breaks harder than me. I'm also still on the stock Michelins. I haven't changed the oil yet, i'm only at ~2000 miles.

Great information, thank you for your responses. I think I'll take it in to see if there's a firmware issue/update or some other issue they might find, but not expecting much there. I'm hoping it's just a break in period and over a bit a time things will start being more efficient.

The other thing I've noticed about the car, is that it seems to rarely start in EV mode unless on a hill pointing down. It'll be in EV mode while stopped, but at any touch of the gas pedal the engine kicks in (including slow and intentional gas pedal pressure). This seems a bit strange to me, I'd figure the electric engine would at least power to 10 or 20mph.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 PM

Yes, dead flat or downhill makes a start on EV only easier. You do have to use a super soft touch to get going on EV only but it will do it. I can baby it in some circumstance from zero to 35 mph for up to three miles. Look at your battery charge gauge. EV happens much more readily the higher above indicated half full it is - also more likely to go into EV up to 75mph (personal experience).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page