Hypermiled the HEV today - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Hypermiled the HEV today

Got a 2018 Niro LX hybrid a little over a week ago. I’ve been hypermiling cars for a long time so I was eager for a chance to see what I could get this one up to.

The test run was only 10.3 miles. 2 miles were in a 30 mph zone, 3 were in a 40 mph zone, 1/2 a mile in a 50 mph zone, and the rest in a 45 mph zone. The speed limit was reached in each zone. 1 stop sign and 9 stop lights on this trip. The battery was one tick below 3/4 charge at the start. The car has just over 1700 miles on it and tire pressures are too low at 32 psi.

91.6 mpg average on this trip. That is with myself in the car, and my wife, and our daughter, and my mother-in-law.
Orac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Seven of those miles could have been on battery if you started with a decent charge. Not sure I see the point of documenting short trips, it is your lifetime average that truly counts. You are also dependent on an electronic algorithm of dubious accuracy on short trips (and long trips too). But if you enjoy such exercises, well I'm happy for you. I'd be interested in some comparison of how you do with the Niro versus other cars you have owned.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 PM

Garage
Ya you really need to do it with a full tank of gas worth of driving, otherwise the results will be all over the place. There are some drives where I've only gotten 15mpg. And others where I've gotten 200mpg. What matters is how far you can go on a tank of gas, and it's really unlikely you'd get 90+mpg over the course of a whole tank. Probably more like 60 if you're hypermiling, or 45 if you're driving normally.

2018 PHEV
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Here are some other vehicles that I have owned and what I have gotten out of them;

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES. 54.5 mpg
2006 Chevy Colorado LS. 34 mpg
2001 Mitsubishi Mirage. 45 mpg
1991 Chevy Cavalier. 42 mpg
2017 Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4. 25 mpg
2012 Honda Civic EX-L. 45 mpg
2003 Dodge SRT4. 36 mpg

Yes, I am fully aware that measuring the fuel economy over the span of a full tank of fuel is a better indication of how well the Niro will do. This 91.6 mpg is 50% better than I have ever gotten on any other vehicles so it had me giddy with the possibility of what could be. Right now, after 30 miles of driving on that tank of fuel, it is averaging 67 mpg. I am confident I can increase that number in the future but for the next few months it will be difficult to do so. There is major road construction going on right next to my home which is decreasing the mpg. Once they are done, jack rabbit starts will not be required.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

After 100.7 miles on this tank of fuel, the display is showing 63.2 mpg average.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:01 PM

Best I ever got out of a tank (701 miles) was 58.70 mpg (displayed mpg was pretty close at 60.1). Leisurely trip, lots of secondary roads, never exceeded 65 mph. Summertime. Briefly tried a few hypermile techniques on that trip, coasting up short steep hills and drafting, but only a few miles, not enough to affect total mpg over 700 miles.

If you have the patience (and space) to keep it to 50 mph, you will exceed 60 mpg fairly easily in good conditions. Or try a trip on something like the Blue Ridge or Natchez Trace Parkways with low speed limits.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would love to see someone get those hypermiles around here. Woke up this morning to that Polar Vortex where it dropped to -25c ( -13f ) and a daytime high of -14c ( 6f ). The Niro started flawlessly, but you have no choice but to run the defrost on the car as your breath will turn to ice on the windshield inside the car. That means the engine is running no-matter-what. I turned it on and left it running for 5 min while I scraped off the ice from the outside windows, then turned on the heated seats and stearing wheel and proceeded to drive. it still took 10 more minutes of actual driving before the engine was warm enough to actually start blowing heat into the car. Up until that point it was doing the low level blowing using the electric heat module that has shown up in several threads here. That gets warm enough to help keep the windshield inside the car from fogging up, but not enough to give of any meaningful heat.

I would seriously doubt that anyone could get away with even close to the 50-60mpg that has been talked about here. I was qute happy not to turn into a block of ice and actually got closer to the 23mpg mark for the drive that I would rather not have had to make.
lafe005 and Dovidan like this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
How did these two manage to get 76.6 mph out of their HEV Niro?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300378829.html
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post

I've wondered about that, too.

I'm guessing it wasn't driven "normally". As in, if we drive a Niro across the US the way a normal person drives, we'd probably get something more like 50 or 55mpg.

These guys were probably hyper-miling to the extreme - they may have stripped weight from it (no tire kit, no back seat possibly, etc.), they may have kept the fuel tank almost empty the whole time (by adding another gallon every 75 miles, while in motion, by someone in another car), avoided ALL stops (by having food and water passed to them through the window by another car while in motion, using a travel potty, etc), stayed entirely on highways with no stop signs, traffic lights, and construction, chosen a route that minimized driving uphill, drove during the ideal time of year to avoid extreme weather and have the ideal temperatures, maybe had a dedicated vehicle always in front of them that they could draft, and they probably had another "scout" vehicle or two in front of them to make sure there was always an unobstructed path, and to report changing conditions ahead so they could accelerate or decelerate precisely the right amount at the right time in advance.

They could have done any one or more of those things, or maybe even ALL of those things, for all we know.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-17-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
Woke up this morning to that Polar Vortex where it dropped to -25c ( -13f ) and a daytime high of -14c ( 6f ).
I appear to have rather bad timing on my return home to Ohio on Sunday where the predicted temperature that night will be -9F. I haven't seen those temperatures there since I was a kid, say fifty years ago.

I'll be driving the Niro in the morning too, at least if this winter storm does not derail my flight. Should be interesting to see how it fires up in that temperature after 5 weeks parked!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page