Poor MPG on 2018 kia niro - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Poor MPG on 2018 kia niro

We just bought our slightly used (14k miles) Kia Niro Hybrid.
On our first fill up now and we are only averaging 31mpg?
Of course we bought for the 50mpg and were not even close.
You can see i have mainly economical miles and no aggressive at all. 90% of these miles are from driving around town at 35-55mph.
Something has to wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190118_161909.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	4429   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190118_161945.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	4431  

Last edited by Decalbomb777; 01-21-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Decalbomb777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Daytona Beach, Fl.
Posts: 214
Since so many things effect your mpg's it would be helpful to know where your from (climate), the distance of your average trip, do you drive mostly around town or is it all highway ect.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
FlNiro is online now  
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
Since so many things effect your mpg's it would be helpful to know where your from (climate), the distance of your average trip, do you drive mostly around town or is it all highway ect.
avg trip = 6miles (wife takes it to work)
I wrote it was mostly town (rural) driving
Pennsylvania

Decalbomb777 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Decalbomb777 is offline  
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California
Posts: 249
Garage
Pay no attention to the indicated MPG on the dashboard.


When you do your next fuel fillup, let us know what your actual calculated mpg is.


30mpg is really low, it should be at least 40... but if you're only basing your mpg on what the dashboard says after driving it only a couple times on short trips, then you're not getting accurate mpg info.

2018 PHEV
cockedandglocked is offline  
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Montreal
Posts: 14
It would also be useful to know which model you drive.

There seems to be a difference between the way they name them between US and Can, but the L model consumes less than the EX and the EX consumes less than the SX.

I recently got an SX model and I averaged between 35 and 40 mpg so far.

Being a newbie with my Niro, I can only give suggestions. My guess is that you could always have a look at the acceleration and deceleration. When I can, I try to accelerate slowly and thus use only the EV and I try to avoid breaking fast, instead I release the gas if I see that I must stop either way. That is not always possible and in winter, when I start the car, it will never be EV only. Partly because of that, I noticed that so far, in winter, short trips (less than 5) tend to consume more than moderately long ones (20km)
Kilauea is offline  
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Daytona Beach, Fl.
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decalbomb777 View Post
avg trip = 6miles (wife takes it to work)
I wrote it was mostly town (rural) driving
Pennsylvania
That answers a lot of questions. When we lived in the Poconos and had our Prius the cold and the hills really knocked the mpg's for a loop. When it got below 50F. it's not surprising to loose 5 maybe even 10 mpgs. Since your average trip is only 6 mi. The gas engine is probably on during all of that time to make heat. So don't panic it's just the way it is when you have the cold, hills and the wind. If you get a nice weekend take it out for a trip and see what kind of mpg's you get. Even if it's cold I'll bet you be in the mid 40's mpg. Also make sure you have 0w-20 synthetic oil in it. make sure your tires are pumped up to specs and even a little more won't hurt ( I keep 40 in mine), make sure the air filter is clean and since it was used make sure somebody didn't take your good low rolling resistance tires and give you a cheap tire.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
FlNiro is online now  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Ok - On the full tank i had it went 268 miles and i just filled up (wasnt completely empty) and it took 9.06 gallons.

so 268 miles / 9.06 gallons = 29.58 per gallon if im doing the math right.

Decalbomb777 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Decalbomb777 is offline  
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 393
From the picture, you see the snowflake symbol so it is below freezing. I gather that you likely are driving with the heater turned on. As you are going a short distance of 6miles, then the vast majority of the distance traveled is spent just getting the engine up to a running warm temperature so your fuel effeciancy will be sub par even if you don't have the heater turned on. With the heater on its just compounded.



So the obvious question is, did your gasoline car prior to the Niro Hybrid give you the posted MPG all the time? Or did it drop off over winter and not give you as good a mileage as you got over the summer? Why would you expect anything different from a hybrid?

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Roadkill401 is offline  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
It would also be useful to know which model you drive.

There seems to be a difference between the way they name them between US and Can, but the L model consumes less than the EX and the EX consumes less than the SX.

I recently got an SX model and I averaged between 35 and 40 mpg so far.

Being a newbie with my Niro, I can only give suggestions. My guess is that you could always have a look at the acceleration and deceleration. When I can, I try to accelerate slowly and thus use only the EV and I try to avoid breaking fast, instead I release the gas if I see that I must stop either way. That is not always possible and in winter, when I start the car, it will never be EV only. Partly because of that, I noticed that so far, in winter, short trips (less than 5) tend to consume more than moderately long ones (20km)
I believe its the LX? Its the next level up from bottom.

Decalbomb777 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Decalbomb777 is offline  
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
From the picture, you see the snowflake symbol so it is below freezing. I gather that you likely are driving with the heater turned on. As you are going a short distance of 6miles, then the vast majority of the distance traveled is spent just getting the engine up to a running warm temperature so your fuel effeciancy will be sub par even if you don't have the heater turned on. With the heater on its just compounded.



So the obvious question is, did your gasoline car prior to the Niro Hybrid give you the posted MPG all the time? Or did it drop off over winter and not give you as good a mileage as you got over the summer? Why would you expect anything different from a hybrid?
Maybe so... but i am fairly certain i didnt loose 40% of the advertised MPG.
Yes the heater is running most of the time just to keep windshield clear.

Decalbomb777 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Decalbomb777 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kia Niro EV 2018 FIRST LOOK lafe005 2018+ Kia Niro EV General Discussion 4 05-08-2018 02:47 PM
KIA Niro wins Green Car Journal's 2018 Green SUV of the Year™ kpauburn 2018+ Kia Niro EV General Discussion 0 01-26-2018 02:54 PM
Kia Niro Overview (U.S. Spec) Administrator 2017+ Kia Niro News 6 08-12-2017 06:32 PM
Test Drove Niro and Ioniq Today Jay Kia Niro Versus the Competition 8 03-21-2017 11:41 PM
Kia Niro Press Release, Official Dr.T Kia Niro General Discussion 13 04-12-2016 12:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome