Tried to run out of gas. Failed! - Kia Niro Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Tried to run out of gas. Failed!

I had an opportunity a couple days ago to run out of gas safely, within EV limp mode of several stations. Went 45 miles below zero range and as it was getting dark, gave up (ran sport mode last 10 miles to hurry the process). Still have valuable information, filled up my 11.9 gallon rated tank to 12.7 gallons! In the past year, I have three times filled up at around zero range to exactly 11.9 gallons, but I wanted to know what my reserve really was. 8/10 of a gallon (minimum) is the answer! But that must be close to the maximum.

Useful information for those who top off and want to know if it is safe to bypass the expensive stations when running close to empty. Fewer fill ups are a luxury. Take your average actual mpg and multiply by .8 to get your true reserve when range remaining is zero. For me, 40 miles is safe. I've already got a real 45 miles in 40 degree weather. For those with 18" tires and/or a brisk driving style, perhaps 25 miles is a good estimate.
Dovidan and padonion like this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 PM

Great info! More times than I'd like to admit or can remember (10? 20?) in my '98 Civic hatchback, I drafted behind semis for 10-20 miles while I prayed that I wouldn't run out of gas and contemplated how far I'd have to run/walk if I did. But that car had a true max range of 330-370 miles. I don't think this will happen often with my new Niro HEV !
Dovidan likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

In the summertime, I've never filled up below 620 miles. Now that I know the true range, it will likely be more like 650. My best tank was 701 miles, but I guess I could have gone 740 safely.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:10 PM

A few miles after the low fuel light came on, a warning message came up saying “Refuel now to prevent hybrid battery damage.”

My wife was in the car and she was freaking out over the message. The DTE monitor showed 24 miles of range left. After refueling right after this occurred, it only took a hair shy of 10 gallons to fill up.

I have found on multiple occasions since that when the DTE gauge hits zero, there is still at least 1.5 gallons of gas left. At 50 mpg that leaves 75 miles of gas left when the car says there is no more range.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Damage can only occur after running out of gas and going excessive distance in EV in "limp" mode. I've seen the warning a dozen times, and as I said, I failed to run out of gas because of the huge reserve when you hit zero range. If it damages the battery, seems to me it would be the fault of the programmers. In any case, very unlikely to damage the battery, and the warranty would then cover replacement.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I had an opportunity a couple days ago to run out of gas safely, within EV limp mode of several stations.
Why anyone would TRY to run out of gasoline is beyond me. As I understand it, the fuel actually lubricates and cools the fuel pump. Running super low on gas or running out can shorten the life of the fuel pump dramatically. However, it's you vehicle so do whatever you want.
lafe005 likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:35 PM

I guess I'm paranoid...I would never do this experience..did this too many times when I was younger when you had no idea what was left in the tank.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by achr View Post
Why anyone would TRY to run out of gasoline is beyond me. As I understand it, the fuel actually lubricates and cools the fuel pump. Running super low on gas or running out can shorten the life of the fuel pump dramatically. However, it's you vehicle so do whatever you want.
I explained my rationale post 1. Not beyond you, above you!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achr View Post
While I understand that for many (most?) cars this isn't accurate (fuel cooling the pump), I would be more concerned with picking up whatever grunge has settled to the bottom of the tank. Sure, my car is new, but over time you do get sediment in the tank. I'd rather not get that close to the bottom.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
While I understand that for many (most?) cars this isn't accurate (fuel cooling the pump), I would be more concerned with picking up whatever grunge has settled to the bottom of the tank. Sure, my car is new, but over time you do get sediment in the tank. I'd rather not get that close to the bottom.
Fortunately for you, I did it so you don't have to. And now you know you don't have to be late filling up just because range remaining is close to zero. You still have lots of miles left before grunge. Which hopefully your fuel filter, well, filters!
charlesH likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page