Can I run out of gas and still drive my Niro? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Can I run out of gas and still drive my Niro?

It sounds like a silly question, but I'm very curious to know if my car runs out of gas, will I still be able to drive it for a short time on battery alone? I've looked through the Encyclopedia Britannica owner's manual for information on the subject but have yet to find it. Anyone know?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Yes, you can. The car goes into a limp mode and limits your speed severely. Depending on current state of charge, you should have several miles at a low speed. I've not experienced it, but I did try really hard once to run completely out of gas just to figure out what the tank holds.

On other bit of information you won't find in the manual is that if you top off your tank, your total gas is 12.7 gallons, not the 11.9 rated tank capacity. This gives you an extra 8 tenths of a gallon after your range remaining says zero. I went 50 miles below zero on my last fill!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:23 PM

If you look in the Encyclopedia Britannica you'll find that running out of gas is highly not recommended. Matter of fact you're warned not to let that happen. I don't know exactly what it is that you may damage but it may be the battery pack.
Sounds like a VERY EXPENSIVE EXPERIMENT.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM

In addition, topping off the tank to the very top can flood the charcoal canister in the Emissions Sys.
Also a very expensive repair.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 AM

Never thought of Encyclopedia Britannica for car service information! The danger in running out of gas (which the Encyclopedia apparently lacks) is that if you now deplete the battery under say 20%, you run a risk of battery degradation, similar to what EV owners do when they charge to 100% or discharge under 20%. Affects battery longevity. Not a problem with a single event. What else are you going to do if you run out of fuel? The limp mode is there to help you. If it was a huge problem, the software would brick the car rather than allow it.

Every car on earth can be topped off. How then to prevent damage? A ten cent loop in the vapor recovery system stops any damage. If the emissions systems are damaged, this is a warranty item not borne by the owner, at least in the US. So it is up to the manufacturer to properly design such systems, not on the car owner or gas pump manufacturer to not take advantage of the full tank capacity.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@Hoffman , Very good question that all Niro's HEV and PHEV's has probably asked themself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doro6529 View Post
you'll find that running out of gas is highly not recommended. Matter of fact you're warned not to let that happen. I don't know exactly what it is that you may damage but it may be the battery pack. Sounds like a VERY EXPENSIVE EXPERIMENT.
This is the most intelligent anwser in this thread so far.! Doing this experiment, is stupid, telling people that it can be done, is more dumber. And if someone gets stuck with problems after this experiment, that person should not drive this kind of car!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (7200 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM

The question in the thread title is "Can I run out of gas and still drive my Niro?". No one has recommended running out of gas as an experiment. I admit to trying to run out on purpose, but that was only to settle the question of tank capacity and true range.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Outside of any potential battery damage, the main reason it is not recommended to run any car out of gas is because as the gas runs out, the engine begins running very lean. Misfiring/backfiring is possible in that scenario, and that can damage your cat converter, or other emission devices in the exhaust stream. Those can get quite expensive as well.
lafe005 likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

the question asked is rather bad in it likely is not asking the right question, and if taken literally, YES if you drive your Niro and don't fill the tank up, eventually you will run out of gas. What I fear the original poster was actually asking is, "is it safe to run out of gas with my Niro?" and to that questions, the answer is NO. The car will go into Limp mode and there could be additional damage done to your car as the systems are designed to use both GAS and Electric at the same time.
lafe005 likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Limp mode cuts out ICE modality so there is no damage from trying to run both at the same time. As the warning on the dash says (for those who haven't seen it), fill up to avoid damaging the hybrid battery. Nothing about damage to the ICE. No other car warns (AFAIK) about damage to ICE for running out of gas.

Most forum posters warning about damage usually cite water and debris at bottom of tank. Damage from misfiring or lean burn is pushing fear for little reason. I've run out of gas, I don't know, maybe a dozen times in fifty years in cars and motorcycles. Zero damage. My PT Cruiser could be a bit hard to start after running out of gas due to difficulty in priming gas lines to the injector. No problems with any other vehicle (mostly carb not injectors). Injector issues are mostly the issues I read about with others that have run out of gas, but only certain vehicles and also related to priming. And that is a convenience problem, not a permanent damage scenario.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page