PHEV Electric Range - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
PHEV Electric Range

How well are people doing with the purely electric range on the PHEV? I just started paying enough attention to see I got 32.3 miles with AC and seat vent going one day (0 miles range left, but had not switched off electric and still showed 999 mpg on the trip info), as well as 26.3 with 5 miles of range still showing after having driver and passenger AC on for half of that.
Dovidan likes this.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewesque View Post
How well are people doing with the purely electric range on the PHEV? I just started paying enough attention to see I got 32.3 miles with AC and seat vent going one day (0 miles range left, but had not switched off electric and still showed 999 mpg on the trip info), as well as 26.3 with 5 miles of range still showing after having driver and passenger AC on for half of that.
I've seen similar results with mine as well. I regularly get 30 or so miles with the AC on, even on the highway. With the AC off on surface streets I suspect I could easily get even more but my drives are pretty short in those conditions. The 26 mile estimate is fairly conservative so if everything is working well you should be able to beat it easily.

There's a guy on here who evidently works for Kia that has talked about the limits of the PHEV range and it's pretty impressive actually. You'd have to go full hyper-miler to see these results but still it's pretty amazing what 8.9kWh can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
Kia guy here.
...The Niro can get up to ≈50 miles/81 km on a charge at 24 MPH/40KPH steady state, (I tried that on a track) so if you pick routes that stay closer to that speed, you can get further. 47.4 miles is my record on public roads staying in 25 and 30 mph zones with AC, Radio, and seats OFF, and driving such that my driving style was 98% Eco under the driving style tab in the supervision cluster menu.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, I've seen low 30s with mine. That requires staying off the freeway, so there's more opportunities to regen, but unless it's a mild day that includes the A/C on and the seat ventilation running. My work round trip is 31 miles, but it's uphill both ways. I use HEV mode to climb the morning hill (about 1 1/2 mile), arriving at work showing 14 miles remaining. I get really good energy use going home, and usually arrive with 3 miles remaining after climbing the short (1/2 mile) but steep hill to my home. While I attempt to get the most I can from regen, I don't consider my driving style anywhere near hyper-mileing. I'm sure with more effort I could get it closer to 30 miles EV, but I hate being "that driver" that annoys other drivers.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
...That requires staying off the freeway, so there's more opportunities to regen...
Actually the most efficient way to travel is at a steady pace, no slowing down like Mike says in the quote I posted above. Regen is nice, but it just prevents the complete loss of energy due to slowing down in the first place. TANSTAAFL after all.

I regularly make a 40 mile trip almost entirely on the highway at 60+ mph and I still get 30 miles or more of EV range.

Oh, also:

Quote:
...but it's uphill both ways
Is that you Dad?

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Actually the most efficient way to travel is at a steady pace, no slowing down like Mike says in the quote I posted above. Regen is nice, but it just prevents the complete loss of energy due to slowing down in the first place. TANSTAAFL after all.

I regularly make a 40 mile trip almost entirely on the highway at 60+ mph and I still get 30 miles or more of EV range.

Oh, also:

Is that you Dad?
Stay off my lawn!

I agree about steady speed. But I still find that taking the freeway home compared to a slightly shorter (2 miles) non-freeway route makes a noticeable difference in my range. Most likely the higher freeway speeds (65+) negate the improvement from more steady speed driving. Now if I could just stay in the valley and not have to climb out, I'm sure I would have been able to stay EV my entire commute at our previous office location. It was about a mile further each way, but almost completely flat, steady speed the majority of the distance. In fact, the dealer I leased from is very near there, so the day I drove the car home (about 18 miles) I believe I only used about 13-14 miles of range. And of course I had my last mile hill to climb to my home.

Dan

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
My work round trip is 31 miles, but it's uphill both ways.
That's a neat trick! If you could arrange a daily trip as a downhill both ways: zero gas or electrons needed.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, it would be a trick! I live on a hill, so I get to go down but the battery is already full. I have to climb a much higher hill to get to work. Coming home I do get some regen coming back down that hill, but then I have to climb the hill to get back to my home. So yeah, uphill both ways...

Dan

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Not sure if this is on-topic, but I recently started noticing the displayed level (in miles) of gasoline after filling up the fuel tank. When I filled up yesterday, it was 495 miles. On the fillup before that, it was 610 miles.

The total capacity of my 2019 PHEV's tank is 11.4 gallons and I put 10.4 gallons in yesterday, so I don't think I shut off the pump at the gas station prematurely.

There is some information in the manual on page 4-61 which indicates that the number of miles displayed is based on driving habits and the condition of the vehicle.

Has anyone reached any conclusions on how this number is calculated. It must be based on estimated MPG, but what is the MPG based on, and how often is it adjusted?

Charlie
2019 Kia Niro PHEV Plug-In Hybrid
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it would be a trick! I live on a hill, so I get to go down but the battery is already full. I have to climb a much higher hill to get to work. Coming home I do get some regen coming back down that hill, but then I have to climb the hill to get back to my home. So yeah, uphill both ways...
If you live on a hill, have you thought about charging less than 100%? By exactly the amount that you get from regen going down the hill.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
If you live on a hill, have you thought about charging less than 100%? By exactly the amount that you get from regen going down the hill.
Yes, I have. But the PHEV has no setting for max charge, at least that I could find. The Uvo Access app has something labeled like it would have one, but there's nothing that I could find. If I could limit it to 98%, then I'd never have the ICE firing up as I'm braking down the hill. Although I did find if I turn up one street before resuming going down the hill, it requires about 15 seconds of drive power, and that's just enough to take enough off the top to let me resume braking the rest of the way down.

Dan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page