Thinking of selling my 2019 PHEV Niro - mmmaybe. - Kia Niro Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of selling my 2019 PHEV Niro - mmmaybe.

Hey guys. It's almost that time.

I'd planned to sell my PHEV around now, so am putting out some feelers.

In BC Canada it cost me: ($39650 msrp + 12% tax) - $2500 rebate, if I recall correctly (~$42k CDN).

I've added an almost $1000 professional installation of front/rear dashcams (BlackVue 60FPS), and have a nice set of official rubber floor mats.

Picked it up in mid Oct, 2018. 8k km. Black interior/exterior. No dings. Perfect shape. If I decide to keep it I'll upgrade the 12V battery, as I'd recommend to anyone buying.

I was told there's only 4 in this province, and a total of 47 in the country, so I guess its rarity counts for something.

Not wanting to part with it immediately, but am wanting to know what I'll get.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Generally, start by deducting your rebates from selling price. That is why you see EV type cars selling for less than ordinary cars relative to starting price. Real bargains to be had for used i3s and Leafs. PHEVs have a much smaller market, so I think selling one privately will be difficult.
Orac likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orac View Post
Hey guys. It's almost that time.
I'd planned to sell my PHEV around now, so am putting out some feelers.
In BC Canada it cost me: ($39650 msrp + 12% tax) - $2500 rebate, if I recall correctly (~$42k CDN).

I've added an almost $1000 professional installation of front/rear dashcams (BlackVue 60FPS), and have a nice set of official rubber floor mats.
Picked it up in mid Oct, 2018. 8k km. Black interior/exterior. No dings. Perfect shape. If I decide to keep it I'll upgrade the 12V battery, as I'd recommend to anyone buying.
I was told there's only 4 in this province, and a total of 47 in the country, so I guess its rarity counts for something.
Not wanting to part with it immediately, but am wanting to know what I'll get.
Thanks!!

Ohh... You're soon getting the Niro EV my friend!?
I remember you got the first PHEV in Canada! As we speak, some people are still waiting too get their PHEV ordered in Octtober last year.!

keep me posted!
Orac likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Generally, start by deducting your rebates from selling price.
If it's generally like that in the states, it's not over here.. our rebate includes a tax part.. so is 2500$ tax included in BC and 4000$ tx included in QC.
Orac likes this.

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM

Unless you can rebates on used cars, the original rebate effectively creates a new lower msrp for the original seller. Let's say the original seller tries to sell his car a week later for $1,000 less than the original msrp, he is actually selling it for more than you can get a brand new car plus rebate. That's a fail!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Unless you can rebates on used cars, the original rebate effectively creates a new lower msrp for the original seller. Let's say the original seller tries to sell his car a week later for $1,000 less than the original msrp, he is actually selling it for more than you can get a brand new car plus rebate. That's a fail!
Over here in QC, a used car cannot get a "used car" rebate of 4000$ if it already got the initial 8000$ rebate when new.! All BEV.s used cars sold here comes from the US, Ontario, etc..

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

The question that everyone is skirting around is how much is the vehicle worth. It is used, so it's not new, so I don't think that the warranty that you have will directly translate over to a new owner? I don't know as I don't sell cars. But that would be a question that will be asked. Now there is the depreciation hit. Its that silly thing being that new cars loose value as soon as they are driving off the lot and registered into a persons name. Unlike some rare classic cars that will all be used to start with that can retain and sometimes gain value over time. Your PHEV is not worth the price you've paid.

The $1000 worth of dashcams no matter how professionally installed are not worth anywhere close to that amount. I think you'd be lucky to get an extra $200 onto the cost of the car if you sweet talk someone into it. Yes, there are people who see a value in having a dashcam, but I have seen them balk at paying $150 for a unit, so I doubt that you'd get very much. The car mats you might get 1/2 what you paid if you pulled them out and sold privately. If they are in the car then you're effectively giving them away for free as I doubt someone would pay you extra for them.

Your best hope is that you find someone who most desperately wants to get into a plug in Niro and NEEDS IT NOW! type of mindset. The best person to ask is lafe as he had an HEV for 6 months and I gather dumped it for the plug in. How much did he lose in the transaction??
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
Your best hope is that you find someone who most desperately wants to get into a plug in Niro and NEEDS IT NOW! type of mindset.
There you go.. And i am shure that a delaer can help with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
The best person to ask is lafe as he had an HEV for 6 months and I gather dumped it for the plug in. How much did he lose in the transaction??
Less than 1000$... I had an offer from the dealer that i could not refuse.!!
Orac likes this.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
Orac: can't help but wonder why you are selling?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Orac: can't help but wonder why you are selling?

Hey Dovidan. My original plan was to use the PHEV until the EV became available, and was told March this year would be the date. Unfortunately Kia doesn't care much about getting the EV in Canada it would seem, so I've decided to go halfway with my original plan and get the Model 3 instead of the Niro EV - eventually the Model Y (deposit down already).

It's disheartening that my market is so small that it's not important to Kia, and that I've wasted so much money trusting they'd actually give us some of the global allotment.

I do love the PHEV Niro though, and ****, the Kia dealership people are amazing - just amazing. It's the nicest car I've ever owned, and best driving in most aspects (apart from a chipped Golf TDI that was.... fun). I just need to have pure electric. I'm triggered/OCD whenever I pass a gas station, let alone have to stop at one

So to the car, and to answer your question, I say, 'It's not you, it's me...' hehehe
Dovidan likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page