Extend the USA Federal EV tax credit? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Extend the USA Federal EV tax credit?

I imagine this idea will find both proponents and detractors. I'm going to resist the temptation (at least for the moment) to advocate in either direction, but I thought I would post this because it's likely to be a topic of interest to forum members.

Currently, GM and Tesla have maxed out on eligibility for their customers to receive tax credits for EV (or PHEV) purchases. I have no idea how close Kia is or isn't to also maxing out. They don't seem to be pushing Niro's very hard, but they have a few other models that also plug-in. A bill was recently introduced to extend the tax credit so that manufacturers can sell more vehicles that will be eligible for credits. You can read the details here: https://pluginamerica.org/press-rele...ore-americans/

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 PM

No, if you cant sell your car on its own merits, dont expect the government to help.

Thsts not their jobs.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 PM

The credits haven't actually expired yet, and we are only talking about three affected manufacturers. Notice how the MRSP has been dropping on these cars as market forces take over. Extending subsidies will likely end up costing consumers and taxpayers. PHEVs are basically a compliance car only with a very limited market without subsidies. EVs (and unsubsidized hybrids) are the near and long term future and pure EV's are going to end up with lower MRSP than ICE cars with no subsidy. If you own Tesla stock, this bill is a great thing. Otherwise, I'm skeptical. The subsidies should run their course having accomplished their purpose.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

I am with Griswald. People purchase a vehicle based on there wants neeeds and desires. If the model choices do not meet your criteria then you have the option of either not buying or having to make a sacrifice to what you want. It shouldn't be the governments job to prop up company sales if their products don't meet markets wants needs or desires or that the price point to do that is just too high.

To those who say that they need to give subsidies to drive market change, then I'd say there are two ways to get that goal. Try with a carrot to lead people to make your desired choice, or use a big stick to make them stop doing what you don't want. Why not just heavily tax the big poluting vehicles that you think are causing the problem? (then Trump can use that tax money to build his big wall as it's likely the trump supporters who like to coal roll and drive the big deasil pickup trucks) Would be ironic getting his people to pay.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:50 AM

I think there should be tax incentives, but they should be phased out by your income level. Give full credit to those making less than 75K, and half credit to those making less than 125K. Anyone else gets nothing. And yes, that means I'd get nothing. Would the loss of the tax credit have changed my mind? Probably. The non-PHEV gets good enough gas milage that I may have gone with it. The PHEV gets me a carpool lane sticker and the price difference, after incentive, was worth paying a little more than the regular Niro price for that. Without the incentive I might not have paid 7K more for the PHEV.
Dovidan likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
I am with Griswald. People purchase a vehicle based on there wants neeeds and desires. If the model choices do not meet your criteria then you have the option of either not buying or having to make a sacrifice to what you want. It shouldn't be the governments job to prop up company sales if their products don't meet markets wants needs or desires or that the price point to do that is just too high.

To those who say that they need to give subsidies to drive market change, then I'd say there are two ways to get that goal. Try with a carrot to lead people to make your desired choice, or use a big stick to make them stop doing what you don't want. Why not just heavily tax the big poluting vehicles that you think are causing the problem? (then Trump can use that tax money to build his big wall as it's likely the trump supporters who like to coal roll and drive the big deasil pickup trucks) Would be ironic getting his people to pay.

Sorry, but you are not "with Griswald".

Griswald is a Trump supporter. You are obviously not.

Just keep lumping us all into that "deplorable" category, that worked out really well in the last election.

P.S. You are on ignore, so don't bother to reply.

Last edited by Griswald; 04-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post

Just keep lumping us all into that "deplorable" category, that worked out really well in the last election.
It's an intriguing response and I'm tempted to reply, but I don't want to fork the topic of my own thread, so I created a new thread for folks that want to discuss political thought here: https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/1...litically.html

By the way - Griswald The Deplorable has kind of a catchy ring to it.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

So far it seems like no one is in favor of extending the tax credit.

I'm thinking about a few things, like the fact that Ford Motor Company has pretty much exited the new car market and will now only make trucks and SUVs (in other words, Ford is shooting for short term profits, not going for fuel economy as a primary focus, and they're pretty much conceding that they can't compete in the car market, which I think is a tragedy).

We've seen these cycles how many times? I think most recently it was in 2014 that gas prices surged and everyone was in shock and there was high demand for fuel efficient cars. But as soon as prices relaxed a bit, and people became accustomed to the new prices, we collectively seem to go back to our gas guzzling ways that prefer other features in our cars over fuel economy.

I'm also thinking about Tesla, and all of the huge indirect impact that Tesla (and Toyota before them) has had on their competitor's decisions about what their future lineup looks like. In the past year or two, numerous manufacturers have put forward claims that their new car lineup a few years from now will be heavily tilted toward electric vehicles. How many of them are saying that because they recognize that Tesla and Tesla's technology threatens their old way of designing cars? It seems like alot of what manufacturers have announced is still hot air blathering with few or not HEV/PHEV/EV cars on dealer's lots today (even the much trumpeted Kia Niro EV hasn't shown up on any dealer lots in the USA as of yet, so far as I can tell).

So when thinking about this congressional proposal, I'm contemplating how the larger market would react if some of the leading drivers of the market suddenly altered... for example, how would the larger market change (and how would all of the new tech EV battery research change) if Tesla were to suddenly file for bankruptcy protection or if GM (which already dropped the Chevy Volt) were to follow Ford's lead even further than they already have and discontinue their other most-efficient offerings?

Some of you seemed to be thinking that the collective tax breaks from multiple governments have already nurtured this nascent segment of the car industry sufficiently and now would be a good time to back off and let the free market take over. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with that, but I do recognize that multiple governments around the world have already made a significant investment in HEV and EV technology and whether we individually agreed with that initial decision or not, if it turns out that its too soon to withdraw the tax-based subsidies and that withdrawing them now has the effect of reversing the market trend, then we're probably being penny wise and pound foolish. In other words, now that we're in this deep, maybe it makes more sense to continue to nurture this technology, rather than risk backsliding the way we seem to do every so many years when the price of gas stabilizes or goes down for a time?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post

P.S. You are on ignore, so don't bother to reply.

I didn't vote for any US politician as I don't live in the USA... so your political system is your problem not mine. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by lumping you in with the stereotypical depction that the media likes to play. I guess there are both republicans and democrats that like to coal-roll and don't give a hoot about polution, just like there are peole of both political persuasion that will go out and buy an eco friendly car to help out with the planet movement.

As for the wall.. Can we get some help to build one up around Quebec/USA border to stem the tied of irregular migrants into Canada from the USA?? We have the same problem of uncontrolled immigration that doesn't come through the regular application channels. The comment on the wall is just poking satire into the thread.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Well,
Kia really isn't an electric car company. They make compliance cars only. In order to sell in compliance states they have to have these PHEV and EV cars.
They really don't want to sell them and neither do their dealerships. Dealers make little money on new cars, the money is in low prices for trade ins, servicing ICE cars and also on finance. With Kia's current rate of EV sales the 200,000 tax credit limit is years away from being reached.
Kia PHEV's and pure EV's are as rare as unicorns on a typical dealers lot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page