Rusty grounding lugs in engine compartment?? - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By hybridfan
  • 4 Post By white17lx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Rusty grounding lugs in engine compartment??

Dear Members,

Can you please confirm if these seriously rusted grounding lugs are normal for a 3 year old Niro HEV as on the attached images?

Thanks a lot,
hybridfan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190924_175052.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	5527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190924_175046.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	5529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190924_175058.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	5531  
Johnxyz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:01 PM

I don't know about it being normal or not. One thing I might do is see what a KIA Dealer says and then irregardless of if they say it is normal or not I would buy some Rust-o-leum paint the same color and spray on these points to stop the rust in its tracks. I seems you already have the pictures to document the problem.

With the amount of road brine and salt put on roads in the winter it is a challenge for automakers to combat rust.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:39 PM

rust on grounding screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridfan View Post
Dear Members,

Can you please confirm if these seriously rusted grounding lugs are normal for a 3 year old Niro HEV as on the attached images?

Thanks a lot,
hybridfan

Last year I have noticed rust on all five visible grounding screws in the engine compartment. After cleaning, I have coated all with the protective grease used for corrosion prevention on alumin(i)um wires. One year later there are no signs of corrosion.
FlNiro, TK6, Dovidan and 1 others like this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 02:45 PM

that is a wonderful idea with the electrical grease. I am glad both of you posted about this. I am going to check our 2019 tonight and implement a countermeasure if I find unpainted surfaces.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:16 PM

Or even if the surfaces are painter as the pictures show. I think I will take this preventitive step as well. Might be a warranty issue, but I'd rather avoid a claim. The fix will not be as good as simply prudent prevention.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:03 PM

My "grounding lugs" story: My new Niro with less than 500 miles had "Hybrid System Failure" / "do not Drive" alert. Drove it a few miles home w/o a problem the called Kia again. They sent tow truck & hauled it off to the dealer, they check things out, determined that there were no serious problems & reset system. They drive it a short bit with no problems. They recharged it. As they drove away from charger, same warning code came up again. Recheck things, again no serious errors but Kia tells em to "improve ground points". Dealer says that means there was something interfering with grounding & blamed it on paint. They "improved" the grounding points. Seems fine but have only driven about 15 miles since I got it back.

Thankful kudos to my dealer's service department who got right on it even though they said they were to busy to attend to it the 1st day. (They darn well should have, dead car with 500 miles on it now has my wife paranoid )

Moral of story: Our Niros are electronically very complex and potentially subject to all manner of electrical gremlins. Hopefully my situation is correctly diagnosed and a rare one.

Dan
2019 Snow White Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR
Other car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page